How to patent or monetize an App idea?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by booyahbooyah, Sep 11, 2011.

1. booyahbooyah, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

booyahbooyah macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So, I have a couple of App ideas for iOS.

However, I have no experience in developing for iOS.

I'm looking into starting an App dev. company and learning iOS development... but even if I did, my app ideas would be too complex for a noob like me.

I'm pretty confident that my App ideas are good enough that one day all smartphones would have them integrated (sorta like how the Instapaper type concepts are integrated into iOS 5).

What I'm really shooting for is a proof-of-concept that I can patent, and then license to Apple / Google etc. so that they can implement and integrate their own versions of my App ideas.

So here's my question -- how do I go about trying to make money off my ideas. Are there people out there who help would-be App inventors out with this process (in return for a cut of the proceeds)? Google / Android are pretty aggressive these days --- if there's anyone in their labs who might be interested in hearing me out please get back...

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hire an intellectual property lawyer. Also, you can't patent ideas... you have to have something substantive.

3. booyahbooyah thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding. I should have been clearer I guess. I plan to create a proof-of-concept, that is a working prototye. But I need assistance in doing so, and was wondering if there exist incubator type firms that help in doing that.

4. CarletonTorpin macrumors member

I've been down that road before: Having a great idea but no means to bring it to life.

If you are ultimately unable to bring your idea out into the real world, I suggest adding your ideas to the public app database at www.AppReque.st

You won't make vast sums of money by adding your app idea to App Request but at least your app will be seen by other developers and enthusiasts and ideally will make it to smartphones everywhere.

That being said, www.Vworker.com is a great place to find developers. Give them a shot.