How to Perform a Clean Installation of macOS 10.14 Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

This article guides you through the process of performing a clean installation of macOS 10.14 Mojave using the bootable USB drive method, rather than upgrading your Mac using Apple's standard installation package, which retains existing user data and any user-installed apps.

[​IMG]

Creating a bootable USB drive provides you with a convenient way to install a fresh copy of macOS Mojave on multiple Macs. Performing a clean install can also remove annoying quirks and strange behaviors that your Mac may have inherited over time, and often helps to reclaim disk space caused by junk files left by third-party apps.

The following procedure works with the latest public beta of macOS Mojave, which you can download by enrolling in the Apple Beta Software Program. It will also work with the final version of Mojave, once it's released in the fall. To follow the steps, you'll need an empty 8GB or larger USB thumb drive (USB-C or USB-A, depending on your Mac) and an hour or two of downtime while the installation procedure completes.

Also, be sure to perform a full backup of your Mac beforehand using Time Machine, so that you can restore your original system from the Recovery partition if something goes wrong.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Perform a Clean Installation of macOS 10.14 Mojave

2. Urbanpixels macrumors newbie

Urbanpixels

Step 4 - Scream profanities when half your software doesn't work or you need to buy the yearly new version

3. Logic368 macrumors member

Heck, is it just me or does Preview not print PDFs right anymore?

4. SkimPappa macrumors newbie

SkimPappa

It wouldn’t let me format to APFS. Required Mac OS extended. Is there a trick to using APFS ?

5. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

Does this method enable encryption by default? (Assuming it formats as APFS)? If not, does FileVault still have to be enabled separately? I thought APFS was encrypted by default, or is that only in newer 2016+ machines?

6. rroch, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

rroch macrumors newbie

I think this process erases your user data, which is the meaning of "clean install" of course. But could you please edit this (otherwise great) article for the sake of any novice who might think that this process is equivalent to a regular upgrade (by misunderstanding "rather than upgrading your Mac using Apple's standard installation package"). The words "be sure to perform a full backup of your Mac beforehand using Time Machine. That way you can restore your system from the Recovery partition if something goes wrong" [my bold] could also lead a novice to think that the backup is just in case something goes wrong, when in fact it will needed if you want to restore your user data. Or did I get something wrong, and this process actually does not erase user data?

7. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Won't ⌘⌥R do the same? Just launch disk utility in Recovery mode to erase the drive, then let it install.

8. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

There apps that make the boot drive so much easier

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're using an iMac or a fusion drive, then you can't use APFS

10. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

I thought that this OS would allow APFS with Fusion Drives/iMacs.

11. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

I'm hoping that Mojave will be the Snow Leopard of macOS. High Sierra was a dud and Sierra was fair so I'll stay on El Capitan until something more stable and compatible comes along.
    Mojave will probably be my last macOS after they migrate from x86 to AxFuzion MBPs.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not yet.

13. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

I'm keeping my MacBook Pro on Sierra as long as I can. Will switch to High Sierra when Apple and Microsoft drops support for it.

14. Soterman macrumors newbie

Soterman

I personally prefer using Disk Utility to create a brand new partition and initiating the Mojave installer from the existing High Sierra partitions... It is the equivalent of a clean install and I have found no drawbacks so far...

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Same here. HS misbehaved way more than any other build of OSX for me. I'm on Mojave PB to get away from it! Still on Sierra on my family computer.

16. superduperultra macrumors regular

I've come to realize clean installs are just pedantic, a rudiment of the Windows era.

Goes in the same bin as memory cleaners, defragmentation etc.

Unless you have a serious problem, just upgrade.

17. macnerd77 macrumors regular

macnerd77

Im on an iMac Running High Sierra 10.13.6 and my main drive is APFS. IIRC it was only fusion drives that couldn't utilize APFS. However that is supposed to be rectified Mojave.
    Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 8.27.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 8.25.29 AM.png

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So are you saying Fusion drive is now APFS?

19. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

This! Way simpler, after a full backup of course.

20. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Saying iMacs can’t use APFS is a misnomer. The culprit is the Fusion Drive, not any particular style of Mac. There are plenty of non-Fusion Drive iMacs out there. My 2017 iMac is running on APFS, too, and no, it does not use a Fusion Drive.

21. timmyh Contributing Editor

timmyh

Thanks for your comment, rroch. I've added a line in the first paragraph to clarify the difference between a 'clean installation' and a standard upgrade.

22. Aquaporin macrumors 6502

What’s the best way to do a clean install and preserve your applications and media? Copy over from an external HD or restore with Time Machine after clean install?

23. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

That was a publicized feature of Mojave and has been functional in the betas for a few months.

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

If you’re on APFS, none of this is necessary. Just create an additional APFS volume in Disk Utility (it won’t take up its own space), then install to that destination.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was unaware of this - thanks for the confirmation. I'm running HS, so its not something I was keenly paying attention too.