Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This article shows you how to perform an AirPods Pro Ear Tip Fit Test, which checks the fit of your AirPods ear tips to determine which size provides the best seal and acoustic performance.

airpods-pro.jpg

How Does the AirPods Ear Tip Fit Test Work?

Unlike previous generation AirPods, AirPods Pro come with three sizes of silicone tips for a customizable fit. These tips help to form a seal appropriate for optimizing the audio experience and the noise cancelling and Transparency modes, so it's important that you choose the right size tip for your ears.

The Ear Tip Fit Test is designed to help you with that, by testing the quality of the seal and identifying the best ear tip size for you. After placing AirPods Pro in each ear and running the test, algorithms work together with the microphones in each AirPod to measure the sound level in the ear and compare it to what's coming from the speaker driver.

airpods-pro-stem-sizes.jpg

The algorithm detects whether the ear tip is the right size and has a good fit, or should be adjusted to create a better seal. Here's how to perform the test.

How to Run the AirPods Pro Ear Tip Fit Test

1. Allow your AirPods to connect to your iPhone or iPad in the usual way, by opening the case next to your device and inserting the buds in your ears.
  2. Launch the Settings app on your iOS device.
  3. Tap Bluetooth.
  4. Under My Devices, tap the information icon (the circled "i") next to AirPods Pro in the list.
    airpods-pro-ear-tip-fit-test.jpg

Tap Ear Tip Fit Test.
  5. Tap Continue.
    airpods-pro-ear-tip-fit-test-1.jpg

Make sure you're wearing both AirPods, then press the blue Play button at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Check your Ear Tip Fit results under the corresponding left and right AirPod images. A good seal is shown in green, while a sub-optimal seal shows up in yellow.
  7. Tap Done.
If you get a yellow result for an AirPod, adjust the earbud or try a different ear tip, then run the test again to see if it's been fixed.

Article Link: How to Perform an Ear Tip Fit Test on AirPods Pro

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Went to exchange them and 2 other customers were doing the same. Running 13.2. The demo vs they had worked fine

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
So far we had a tutorial for this and a tutorial on how to clean and store a credit card....Apple user must be getting dumber each product release ..

So much for "pro" users.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
This is really cool. Never seen anything like that on any other earbuds. Can't wait to get the AirPods Pro into my hands ?

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This is really cool. Never seen anything like that on any other earbuds. Can't wait to get the AirPods Pro into my hands ?

Much like the iPhone 6 design, HTC did it first:

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I had to use different ear tips to get a good seal and it makes quite a difference, particularly with noise cancellation and bass performance, pretty impressive.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
At 300 USD, these are the idiots EarPods. Ofcourse a tutorial is neccesary.
$250 does not equal $300.
[automerge]1572466612[/automerge]
So far we had a tutorial for this and a tutorial on how to clean and store a credit card....Apple user must be getting dumber each product release ..

So much for "pro" users.
This is good for people that don't have them and likely wouldn't have known this existed otherwise. Might tempt people who don't traditionally like this kind of headphone to give it a shot.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I just put in the smallest ones and they were clearly the most comfortable to me. Didn’t really need a test to tell me, but it was nice to confirm that the fit was good.

tk1337

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Florida
If you're here to complain about the price, don't buy it. These clearly aren't for everyone and are on the market to compete with Sony's WF-1000XM3 ($230) and the like.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
proprietary ear tips, classic apple move
That's because normally when it comes to in-ear earbuds you have a short stem that goes inside your ear canal and the tip goes over this stem but the AirPods Pro don't have this stem and instead a flat mesh surface on which the tip gets attached. Some people may prefer this because this way the earbuds don't so far into your ear.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.