How to Perform Clean Install OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by winty03, Mar 25, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Can someone tell me how to perform a clean install of Leopard on my mbp. I am new to Macs and want to reload Leopard. Is there a step by step out there? Also I want it to erase/format/delete all files from current install. I am not in need of anything on there. Also will I loose anything doing this? All I have is the mbp and a leopard disc I got when I bought the system. There shouldn't be anything else I need is there?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just boot from the Leopard disk, holding either option or c during startup. Then choose Options/Customize in one of the first panes (I'm not sure which one) and choose Erase & Install.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just insert the DVD, restart the computer, hold down the 'c' key after the startup sound, select your language, click next, select clean install, then OK, wait for Startup Sound again, and "Bob's your Uncle".

TEG

4. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anything I am going to loose from my retail bought mbp when I preform the clean install?

5. slcseas macrumors newbie

Thankfully in the world of Mac, you don't get excess trash on OS X from the factory installed version of the OS. Everything will be the same.

6. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

so just to double check, I am BRAND new to mac. bought it directly form apple, taking out my leopard disc and running a clean install I will have the same programs as I did when I took it out of the box? is there any program that cleans up files when I have trashed an app? thats my concern. I have ran about 15 20 apps I have now trashed and feel there are a ton of files that were left after I trashed the app.

7. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There's really no need to do any of this, you realize that right? The most apps leave around is a couple tiny plain text (or binary) preference lists which just sit there on your hard drive.

That said, if you install OS X and the bundled programs, you'll have everything your Mac came with originally.

9. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I kinda figured that it was not necessary. All I am finding in my black box of "stuff" is disc 1 and 2 of OS X Leopard. How do I get the bundled software iLife?

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

iLife and all other bundled software is included on those DVDs.

11. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks guys for all the heads up! I am more wanting to do it for the experience. I doubt I will reload it in the future because I will have a ton of programs on it and not want to go to the work. Now got nothing on it I need. So here we go! So simple windows was a pita.

12. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I just got done installing OS X, how do I go about installing the ilife bundle off the install dsics?

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you insert the first DVD that came with the system there's a shortcut that says "Install Bundled Applications Only." That should work.

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your Discs should have the installers for iLife and other applications.

TEG

15. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys much appreciated! Without you guys I would have never been brave enough. In the end Apple has made it very simple! Thanks Again!

16. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

If you're worried about the files that the apps leave behind, get either AppDelete (free) or AppZapper ($13). You drag the apps that you want to delete, and it'll get rid of them. Both are great apps, and will get rid of it. :D Hope this keeps you from reinstalling Leopard too many times! :D

17. chem macrumors regular

18. johndeere768 macrumors newbie

If I do a clean install " putting leopard disk and holding onto letter C...once it finishes install " is my windows partition gone? or does it stay?

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, it's still there unless you repartition your drive to get rid of it.

20. johndeere768 macrumors newbie

So is there an option where you can wipe windows partition when you are reformatting/installing OSX leopard?

21. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yes, after you've booted up the Leopard DVD you can select Disk Utility from the menubar. From there you'll have access to all your partition settings, just like in Disk Utility on your hard drive.

22. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Holding C only brings you to the Disk's installer. The installer is where you can carry out the disk duties, such as wiping a windows partition.

23. Mac. macrumors 6502

Do i have to back-up all my files before doing a clean install?

Also, how often should i do a clean install? every 6 months ?

24. alFR macrumors 68020

Yes - assuming they're held on the disc you're installing to, as that will be erased during the install.

Never, unless you have a problem. It's not like XP. :)

25. Mac. macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help.

I haven't got a external HD so i'll probably wait until i get one before a do a clean install.