How to perform clean Mavericks install on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Akuratyde, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Akuratyde macrumors regular

Can someone please tell me the best way to perform a clean install of OS X Mavericks on my Air? I'd like to format the drive and only have to install Mavericks without any previous OS's. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance.

2. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

well, step 1 is pay 0 money:D

i haven't tried it yet but isn't there an option to do exactly that when you run the update? (remove previous OSs, not format the drive I mean- to do that you'd have to go into recovery)

3. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

if I go into recovery and format the drive won't I have to reinstall Lion since that's what was running on the Air when I bought it? Or should I install Mavericks, then go to recovery and format the drive? That way Mavericks isn't being installed on top of previous OS's.

4. NMF, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

The latest beta release of Lion DiskMaker was updated to support the OS X Mavericks GM, so it should work just fine with the official public release. You can use it to create a bootable Mavericks USB stick (8GB or larger) and boot from that to do a "fresh" install. You can grab the latest beta release here.

Or simply download "Install OS X Mavericks.app" from the Mac App Store (don't run it, quit with CMD-Q if it auto-runs) and follow tywebb13's directions from this post to accomplish the same thing without downloading Lion DiskMaker. Doing it this way ensures that you'll install the Mavericks recovery partition as well. This is the method I'll be using within the next hour or so, so I'll report back when it's done.

5. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thank you for the reply. This is exactly what I was looking for.

6. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

7. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

thank you. and will this replace the Lion recovery partition completely with the Mavericks one?

8. NMF, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yep. If you want to be safe just use Disk Utility to reformat your Mac's hard drive after you boot from the USB stick.

This is a great time to rename your boot drive "Mac SSD" as well. It always bugged me that Apple referred to my SSD storage as an "HD." ;)

9. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

really? weird, since mine says "Apple SSD SM128C" (i believe SM notes the Samsung SSD)

10. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Unless you manually changed it yourself, your boot partition is named "Macintosh HD." All Macs ship like that.

In other news, I updated to Mavericks using the USB method I linked to above. No issues. I'm loving the new Safari!

11. thebrobrah macrumors regular

how necessary is this.??

i just installed over mountain lion...dont see any problems..:cool:

12. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thank you very much for those SUPER EASY instructions. I didn't use the bootable drive to do a clean install (maybe some day in the future), but I did use it to install Mavericks on our other computers (5 total in our house!) without having to do a 5.3GB download on each system. Saved me a bunch of time. :):D

13. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

It's not necessary, but it can increase performance and free up space.