Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HotHand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion, and I have found that Apple removed one of my favorite tools in Safari, View Activity, which would allow me to go to any web page, and with a few clicks find the direct link to the content, such as an embedded .flv file and download it.

With the View Activity tool removed, is there another method to do this? I have read elsewhere that the Web Inspector allows you to do this, but I have not figured out how to download the embedded .flv file for a web page this way.

BTW, I am looking for a method that does not involve a 3rd party web page that finds the link and downloads the file for you (such as all those youtube flash downloading web pages out there). I want to be able to find the link myself as I could in the old Safari.

Thanks in advance.

Zephar

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Yes, I noticed that too right away; and, scouted around in the ‘Develp’ menu. Must in there somewhere that we have not yet discovered. I do not think they would eliminate this feature. Seth

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
I've been bothered by this as well. With the developer menu enabled, you can press the same key combo and get a window with "page resources," but this doesn't allow you to, say, download videoplayback.flv from youtube. I haven't had any success with any other method, and it's really distressing.

Evom is a free app that claims to download youtube videos, but I haven't gotten it to work on ML either.

Zephar

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Activity Window gone in Mountain Lion?

Yes, the Develop menu must be checked at the bottom of Advanced in Safari preferences; but, this does not bring one to easily discover where the Activity Window has gone.
I found under Web Inspector clicking the ‘Images’ tool does show the video I would like to DL; but, the usual double clicking, nor option clicking does a DL. It merely opens another window and starts playing the same video, now in 2 different windows.
We may be getting close. The Image tool shows as the 2nd icon in the Web Inspector’s menu bar.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
There has to be an app or extension that can replace the Activity Monitor. I too tried the Develop menu and Show Page Resources and it doesn't work for me. It either freezes up the page or briefly displays the listing of folders (including the "Other" folder people say the video file will live) before quickly redirecting to a weird listing of Flash mumbo jumbo:confused:

Somebody please help us get the basic Activity Monitor functions back...3rd party or not!:eek:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
There has to be an app or extension that can replace the Activity Monitor. I too tried the Develop menu and Show Page Resources and it doesn't work for me. It either freezes up the page or briefly displays the listing of folders (including the "Other" folder people say the video file will live) before quickly redirecting to a weird listing of Flash mumbo jumbo:confused:

Somebody please help us get the basic Activity Monitor functions back...3rd party or not!:eek:

click2flash works as a extension for safari

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is no "download video" option with ClicktoFlash.
:apple:
ScreenCap 2012-08-17 at Fri, Aug 17,3.50.04 PM .PNG

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Using ClickToFlash, this option is not available on almost every flash video I click on. Just YouTube. See screen shot
First, that option only appears before you click to enable flash on that site:
ScreenCap 2012-08-25 at Sat, Aug 25,11.10.12 PM .PNG
After you've enabled flash and the video starts, that option is no longer available.
ScreenCap 2012-08-25 at Sat, Aug 25,11.09.09 PM .PNG
Also, make sure your ClickToFlash settings include the "Download Video" menu option.
ScreenCap 2012-08-25 at Sat, Aug 25,11.11.30 PM .PNG

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
First, that option only appears before you click to enable flash on that site:
After you've enabled flash and the video starts, that option is no longer available.
Also, make sure your ClickToFlash settings include the "Download Video" menu option.

No dice...and I have the "Download Video" preference box checked. On the site I'm on, the download option is not available before I enable the flash video to play, or after. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 12.33.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 12.33.03 AM.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 334

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No dice...and I have the "Download Video" preference box checked. On the site I'm on, the download option is not available before I enable the flash video to play, or after. What am I missing?
Make sure your ClickToFlash is up to date and double-check all your ClickToFlash preferences. Obviously it should work, as evidenced by my screen caps.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Make sure your ClickToFlash is up to date and double-check all your ClickToFlash preferences. Obviously it should work, as evidenced by my screen caps.

Well, the big difference I see is that you're watching the video on YouTube, while I was watching on a different site. I want to be able to download Flash video from anywhere on the web...not just YouTube. Safari 5's Activity window was able to do this, hence the thread.

I am able to get the Download Video option on YouTube, but no where else. It looks like ClickToFlash is not the solution here.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, the big difference I see is that you're watching the video on YouTube, while I was watching on a different site.
Which site? I can test it on that one. Also, I don't know of any solution that works on every site, as there are many technologies employed to deliver content on various sites.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Which site? I can test it on that one. Also, I don't know of any solution that works on every site, as there are many technologies employed to deliver content on various sites.

That video is hosted on worldstarhiphop.com (trashy video site;)). ClickToFlash also does not work on ahhemmm (throat clear), a few adult focused sites either. Something Activity window was useful for:cool:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are you just control-clicking the video? I'm doing the same thing and getting the popup in my screenshot. Let me try this again...
I'm right-clicking, but Control-click does the same thing.
Is this the preference you referred to?
Yes. You might try checking all your preferences and making sure that ClickToFlash is updated. I'm on version 2.7.

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, I've noticed the "download video" option in click2flash isn't consistent.

Yes, the Develop menu must be checked at the bottom of Advanced in Safari preferences; but, this does not bring one to easily discover where the Activity Window has gone.
I found under Web Inspector clicking the ‘Images’ tool does show the video I would like to DL; but, the usual double clicking, nor option clicking does a DL. It merely opens another window and starts playing the same video, now in 2 different windows.
We may be getting close. The Image tool shows as the 2nd icon in the Web Inspector’s menu bar.

Yes, you are close. Once you get the second window highlight the url in the address bar and hit option/enter. The video will start downloading.

So far I've found this works for downloading video:

go to page with video, pause video (if you have cllck2flash, don't load video yet)
open web inspector
reload page with video (if you have click2flash, load video now)
web inspector will now show folder called "other"; expand it
video will be loading there; double click it to open in new tab/window
highlight the url of new tab.window in the address bar and hit option/enter. The video will start downloading.

There may be ways to simplify this but this is what I've got so far.

HotHand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, I've noticed the "download video" option in click2flash isn't consistent.

Yes, you are close. Once you get the second window highlight the url in the address bar and hit option/enter. The video will start downloading.

So far I've found this works for downloading video:

go to page with video, pause video (if you have cllck2flash, don't load video yet)
open web inspector
reload page with video (if you have click2flash, load video now)
web inspector will now show folder called "other"; expand it
video will be loading there; double click it to open in new tab/window
highlight the url of new tab.window in the address bar and hit option/enter. The video will start downloading.

There may be ways to simplify this but this is what I've got so far.

THANKS! Works great for me right now. The video actually starts downloading as soon as I double click it in the OTHER folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.