How to: Periodic Table in Numbers.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boyinthecorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. boyinthecorn macrumors newbie

I just switched to a Macbook Air, and I love it (never going back). However, I need help in numbers for a class project. Numbers is somewhat different from excel, even though I have no idea what I'm doing with either.... what I need to do is figure out a way to input the periodic table with all the elements listed with their atomic mass. I would like to be able to do is (on a separate sheet), be able to type in an element, and have it return its atomic mass. Also, if i type in more than one element, I would like it to give me the sum of both elements' atomic masses.
    Any information on how to do this would be a life saver!
    Thanks, Grant.

2. MatsSkoe macrumors member

MatsSkoe

Is it mandatory that you must type the elements? Elegant solution are checkboxes, a nice feature of Numbers.

3. boyinthecorn thread starter macrumors newbie

what i would like to happen is that if I type in C for carbon, that it retrieves and shows 12.01. I would like it to be able to give the the sums of, say C and H also, but that isn't too important.

And with the check boxes.... my professor loves ingenuity, so if the end result is the same, he might like it if it's something different.

4. MatsSkoe macrumors member

MatsSkoe

Try and puzzle with this one! (See attachment)

Attached Files:

5. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I did this before. I don't have access to it just now. If you look through the functions you should get an idea. There is a function that given an input and a list will find the offset of that item in the list (as I recall). Then you can use that offset to retrieve the atomic mass or other parameter and place it in a nearby cell. If you want to retrieve something related to more than one element that sounds like a job for AppleScript.

6. periodictable macrumors newbie

interactive periodic table

This is an interactive periodic table or chart of the chemical elements. periodic table