Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
l open my podcast software and go to 'Downloaded', then select the podcast, right click, and choose 'Remove'. l chose 'Remove Download' but it doesnt seem to free up space. Before deleting from podcast software on mbpr, l drag it to my external HD if want to view later. Is tis the way to free up space on mbpr?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 13.36.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 13.36.52.png
    723.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 13.37.09.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 13.37.09.png
    979.5 KB · Views: 252

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
One of the many ways to remove a download. Can also do it from the Show view, Episodes.

Now, with the example given, might not see any big change in disk space. Depending on bit-rate, length of the podcast, as your are looking at a file of about 15MB in size, maybe smaller. And depending on what else is going on while you are doing this, might be eating up space by adding back.

I took a look at a 30min podcast I downloaded this morning, and it is just shy of 30MB in size; a 1:15 podcast from today as well is sitting at 81MB.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
One of the many ways to remove a download. Can also do it from the Show view, Episodes.

Now, with the example given, might not see any big change in disk space. Depending on bit-rate, length of the podcast, as your are looking at a file of about 15MB in size, maybe smaller. And depending on what else is going on while you are doing this, might be eating up space by adding back.

I took a look at a 30min podcast I downloaded this morning, and it is just shy of 30MB in size; a 1:15 podcast from today as well is sitting at 81MB.
thanks, so the way l detailed is a correct way? the easiest way? i think the space from deleting old podcasts was realised when l restarted mac.
why is it when l remove the download it doesn't show up in my Trash?

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes, that is the correct way.

Podcasts do not move to trash. Why? Probably due to there is a database in the background that keeps track of what's what, so an undo/restore/put back type action gets tricky. Besides, can always also re-download a podcast if accidentally deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.