How to permanently mount a disk image?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaxMichael, May 26, 2009.

1. MaxMichael macrumors member

Hey!

I have all my OS X applications that come with your mac on a seperate .dmg file, that's just how it happened. I'm not sure how it happened, but when I took my computer home, it just installed like that. I bought the iMac ex-display from PC World last august and it didn't come with any documentation, reboot disks or an apple remote. They say they don't have them with them, but they obviously do.
    I keep forgetting to mount the .dmg every time I reboot, because I'm a klutz and becoming old at a young age. I was wondering if there's any way to automatically have the mac mount the disk image?

Thanks in advance! :D

Max.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry but somethings wrong with this picture. They do ship disks with all Mac's sold. Contact them.

3. MaxMichael thread starter macrumors member

I've never heard of those companies. Are they around in the UK? Anyway, PC World says it isn't possible to replace them. My Mac was ex-display actually, I just noticed I wrote new. Told you I'm a klutz. :p

4. MaxMichael thread starter macrumors member

I get a 404 error. That link didn't work, it added some clkadtrader url infront. But deleting that gave me a PC World page of an iMac... What do I do with this? I've already contacted PC World.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry. Can't do the link. I'd say contact them. You bought it from them so you should have the link.

6. MaxMichael thread starter macrumors member

But I've already contacted them, several times, they gave me an Apple Remote but said they were unable to find the disks.

Ok, this picture should help explain.

[​IMG]

The Macintosh HD you see there, that's where all my OS X programs are saved. Well, the ones that are pre-installed on your mac. However, the actual OS X is installed on the Apple drive.
    The PCW Image.dmg, that's the file I want to attempt to permanently mount, somehow, when I click the 30GB file, it loads the Macintosh HD drive/partition which is 75GB in total.
    Programs such as iLife won't load with the Macintosh HD drive mounted etc.
    The Untitled drive is my Bootcamp drive.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You could add the disk image to your startup items. This should automount it on log in I believe.

System Preferences->User Accounts->Log in Items

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Maybe copy everything from the disk image onto the Apple drive and then delete the disk image?

9. MaxMichael thread starter macrumors member

I've done that now, :D Thanks for the help. I can't reboot now, but when I do I'll post the result.

If not, I'll try what dejo suggested.

10. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

Why don't you just want to move them all to your applications folder?

11. MaxMichael thread starter macrumors member

Thanks yippy! That worked! :D

@thunderweb, It would take too long to copy everything over and it's pointless if they're easily available elsewhere. But I would've done that if I couldn't mount the drive.

12. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Fresh install anyone? That would bother the crap out of me and that is NOT how your HD should be setup. Who knows what people did to the display Mac. Sorry but I'm just a little OCD when it comes to an organized HD.

13. MaxMichael thread starter macrumors member

I would, but like I said, I don't have the OS X disks, so I'll wait until Snow Leopard comes out to do a fresh install because it's stupid buying new leopard disks, although, I have disks from my Macbook Pro and Mac Mini, but they won't work will they?

14. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

No there specific to the units, they will not work with other macs