How to permanently set startup chime volume?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I recall someone discussing this a while back, but cannot seem to find the post. I would like to permanently set startup chime volume to a very low volume or maybe even turn it off. As of now the volume of the chime on startup is dependent upon the last volume I had my MBP set at while I was using it. I just not a big fan of situations where I walk into a meeting and power on the MBP and DINNNGGG!

2. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Is there a built-in feature that does this? Either something in OS X itself or a terminal script I can run?

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

No as the startup sound volume is based on your system volume setting. So what that program does it turns down the volume when you shut down. Then turns it back up when you boot up.

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Wouldn't this interfere with any other startup chimes (such as error beeps etc)

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well the startup chime is just that. The OK of the system. So sorta yes. But you can always just reset the PRAM to get that back if you have problems.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

8. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

nice!

yes! thanks for that one! i used to search for a way to change the chime sound, but this'll do!