Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I use very frequently QuickLook (QL) at full screen from the Finder to browse my images. By default, QL is doing an automatic slideshow after a small amount of time (few seconds to watch each image). I hate this behavior. I know that I can use the spacebar to simply pause the slideshow but I frequently forget to do that. I want QL to stay on the same image from the start, until I press the arrow keys to cycle through my images, or until I decide to watch the slideshow by pressing the spacebar. So is there a way (a Terminal command, for example) to stop this automatic slideshow at the beginning, and to turn if ON using the spacebar, instead of having to press the spacebar to stop it?

I rarely use a slideshow, so I much prefer to have it OFF by default. How can we change the QL default behavior in Ventura?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When I open Quicklook full screen with images, I do not get an automatic slideshow. There is a triangle "play" button that I have to press to start the show. The spacebar also starts and stops the slideshow.

I cannot find anything on the web about an automatic slideshow. I also cannot find anything in Finder defaults that gives an automatic slideshow. Confirm you're entering quicklook by pressing just the spacebar? If you enter quicklook with option-spacebar I think you're asking for a slideshow.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I cannot find anything on the web about an automatic slideshow. I also cannot find anything in Finder defaults that gives an automatic slideshow. Confirm you're entering quicklook by pressing just the spacebar? If you enter quicklook with option-spacebar I think you're asking for a slideshow.

I use option-spacebar to get full screen mode, and it's a slideshow. Spacebar alone isn't fullscreen. I need fullscreen.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Option-spacebar is the keyboard shortcut to start a slideshow, and full screen is the default size for slideshows. You have two choices:

1) Open Quick Look with the space bar alone, then click the little arrows in the top left to go full screen, or

2) Open Quick Look with option-space, then tap the space bar once more to stop the slideshow. This works because the space bar starts and stops media in all apps.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
Option-spacebar is the keyboard shortcut to start a slideshow, and full screen is the default size for slideshows. You have two choices:

1) Open Quick Look with the space bar alone, then click the little arrows in the top left to go full screen, or

2) Open Quick Look with option-space, then tap the space bar once more to stop the slideshow. This works because the space bar starts and stops media in all apps.
Well, this is exactly what I want to change using a Terminal command. I don't want QL to do a slideshow by default (in fullscreen mode). Is there a way?

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
You can reassign keystroke shortcuts in System Settings > Keyboard.

I don't see anything related to QL there. And it will certainly not solve my issue: seeing pictures in fullscreen mode without the slideshow activated.

There's surely a Terminal command to stop the slideshow by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.