How to pick up a Macintosh

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Recent switcher wondering what I missed all those years ago. I switched over form Windows last year and have really fallen for OSX, may Mac Pro, and my Macbook in a big way. But I'm interested in seeing where it all began, and was thinking of picking up an original Macintosh to play around on. I've spotted a few on E-bay, but before I go placing any bids, I'd like to know more about getting a vintage Mac up and running. Can any one recommend a good web site or two on classic Macs?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
i have a mac os 7 virtual operating system u can have a look at. its a tiny thing and it rocks!!!

u missed out on that much stuff, the old macs are so amazingly awsome! i have a computer downstrairs running os8.1. it runs all of my old classic games from when i was a kid :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I wandered in here, based on the title, and was prepared to say "I've always found a gentle smile, a good opening line, and a spare drink in hand to be effective."

Now, though, I'm out of advice.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
i actually thought how it would be to physically pick up a mac...
i.e. with both hands under the rump making sure that all cables are unplugged as not to rip out any ports.

i was kinda wrong too :p

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Wear a black turtle-neck. Don't say anything about the "I don't have any viruses" thing. It is already well known and sort of tacky to bring up.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I wandered in here, based on the title, and was prepared to say "I've always found a gentle smile, a good opening line, and a spare drink in hand to be effective."

Now, though, I'm out of advice.
Wear a black turtle-neck. Don't say anything about the "I don't have any viruses" thing. It is already well known and sort of tacky to bring up.
Actually I'm trying to make the move on a nice little SE/30 I met on E-Bay

djbrickhouse

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2007
I would get something with a hard drive you can have the OS on disk. other then that, I reccomend somethign with a 9" bw screen, for the real experience, and expect it to be slow....

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I would get something with a hard drive you can have the OS on disk. other then that, I reccomend somethign with a 9" bw screen, for the real experience, and expect it to be slow....
I'm looking at an SE/30 which has a HD and a 9"BW, but if that falls through I might try and find a Classic II, or maybe even a Color Classic. I am drawn towards the idea of a B&W screen.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The original macs had a handle so you can pick it up with one hand.:D

Really though Ebay is a good place to look, also there are a lot of smaller computer stores in most desent sized cities that might have some. The original '84 mac is a big collectors item and will cost you come cash. You can get something like the "Mac Classic" for really cheap though.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
The original macs had a handle so you can pick it up with one hand.:D

Really though Ebay is a good place to look, also there are a lot of smaller computer stores in most desent sized cities that might have some. The original '84 mac is a big collectors item and will cost you come cash. You can get something like the "Mac Classic" for really cheap though.
My understanding is that Ebay is not the deal it once was when looking for a vintage Mac, guess they have just become too popular.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
So the SE/30 got away from me, and for $138.00 plus shipping, who cares. But I did manage to snag a Classic II for $29.00 plus shipping. I do need to get a mouse though and was wondering if any one could suggest a good source for picking up an ADB mouse. I'm not necessarily looking for the original Apple mouse that came with the Classic II, just a mouse that will work with it. WeLoveMacs.com looks to have some cheap mice, but I'd like to hear some recommendations from those who know.

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Not really, most compact Macs will run OS 6.xx pretty fast.