How to pimp the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shukron, Mar 3, 2008.

1. shukron macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy the MacBook Pro and obviously had a question first. It's purpose in life will be to manage photos primarily. I want the machine to be the best it can... That said I would like to know what the optimum machine is from apple itself and what parts (i.e. RAM, hard drive?) I should leave as basic to be upgraded by a third party? I want the most bang for my buck and the best machine I can put together. Thanks for the help...

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Max out the RAM

Replace your current HDD with a SSD

Toss the optical drive, use the MCE Optibay to put a 2nd SSD for RAID0

Chuck the screen and put a preferably LED backlit WUXGA (full HD, 1920x1200) panel in

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think he was looking for something practical..:rolleyes:

4. jstew17 macrumors newbie

Personally for your purposes i'd go with:

- a stock basline macbook pro (a 2.4GHz processor will do fine for photo editing, since your graphics card will take the brunt)
    -4GB of ram (third party of course)
    -7200 rpm drive of your choice (third party as well since it'll probably be on the cheaper side)

SSD is way too impractical for its cost right now, you can always take advantage of the falling prices in the future.

5. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

Steps to pimping a macbook pro:

1. Get a diamond-encrusted case for it.
    2. Line the palm rests with purple velvet.
    3. Find a way to attach rims to it. Preferably spinners.

6. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

RAM-Crucial is where I got mine, OWC is also pretty good as far as I know.

HD-If you want space over a little speed, the WD Scorpio 320 GB drives are great. I actually find mine to be much quieter than my old stock Hitachi 160 GB drive.

Lock Slot- Get a nice gold chain with a dollar sign on it to secure your laptop.

7. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

YES.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

best. post. evar.

9. shukron thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...

Thanks for all the info...much appreciated, I'm working on the diamond encrusting and purple velvet.

Will third party replacements void the warranty? If so, which ones? Recommendations as far which SSD or HDD to go with?

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

3rd party ram wont void the warranty, heck there is even a guide on their website (but I dont know about Hard drives) and right now HDD is more practical and affordable.

ChrisN

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Bling is here...

How to pimp the MacBook Pro :cool:

Other platings available are:

Chrome
    Black Nickel
    24kt Yellow Gold
    24kt White Gold
    24kt Rose Gold
    Platinum

12. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Yep, exactly and then it might, just might be able to handle jpegs, prolly need a macpro though if you want to use PSDs.

Man photos on a laptop?!!??! do you think it is the year 2050? your crazy for real!

P.S. -- you need to buy an external mouse, because in order to handle hours of photo viewing you're going to want to convert your trackpad into a hot plate to keep your coffee hot

13. TimeWaster101 macrumors regular

Off topic, but I need help!!!

Blast this is a hard decision for me:

A. I could get the current MBP in a month by my birthday and have it to use ALL summer! I still love the current design.

B. Wait for the next model. What if I don't like the new design. But maybe it'll be better looking? But I don't really want an air styled design. I like the curved rectangle look of the MBPs and MBs. However, regardless of how amazing the new design may look, what about all the issues there could be. The last thing I want to do is be fixing my computer all the time in college.

I really don't think I personally will notice a performance update with Montevina and I don't think the specs will change much. People keep saying it will be thinner, but here's why I disagree:

1. Mac laptops already have heating issues. Make the thing any smaller and it'll overheat (BAD!).
    2. The nvidia 8600M is about the best that can fit and the 8800M is larger and creates more heat. Apple needs to future proof itself. If they get too ahead of themselves and make every thing super thin, there will be no room for extra features. Its better to have more space for extra features, than make an already very thin laptop thinner. Honestly, anyone who thinks 1" is too thick needs to take a shopping trip through the PC isle and compare.
    3. if they make it thinner, it may resemble the Air's style (all curvy and such). While the air looks amazing, on a larger laptop, all the weird curves make not look right and may make the computer look too complicated and I associate Apple's design with simple. Simple usually is better. What is it I hate about the look of every PC laptop? All the stuff. Too many designs, to busy, and too clunky. I love that when you close a MB or MBP the whole thing is symetric and smooth. Also I'd rather have a solid laptop than one that resembles a wedge from the side (slopes from 1" to .5" or something)

But its a hard decision. I don't want to buy now then see the new one and wish I'd waited. Yet if the new is nothing special, I'll wish I'd bought already.