How to play DVD's via Wifi/Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jakeym91, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jakeym91 macrumors newbie

Sometimes we would like to watch one of our DVD's on the Macbook pro (latest one with no Drive). I purchased a MDisc Blueray Drive from LG which works fine when its plugged in directly into the Laptop.

I was wondering if there is any way to use the DVD Drive (or another one) via Wifi/Bluetooth (or something similar)?

I do have a Airport extreme and would be willing to buy a new Drive if it could connect to the Laptop somehow wirelessly.

Thank you for your help

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you could use makemkv to rip the movie to your internal drive. it takes a while. On my external, i got about 4X speeds so 30 minutes for a 2 hour movie. You would have to try it but you could then watch the movie without the drive plugged in.

You'll also need space, blu-rays are 20-40 GB. DVDs are smaller

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You could also use OS X Remote Disc feature, but that requires you have it connected to another Mac or Windows computer.
    So I really fail to see the benefit from the whole setup, as you still need to stand up and walk to the DVD drive to insert the disc.
    Your best bet is to rip the discs and stream your movies off a HDD from then on.