How to play interlaced icod videos?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by miikap, Apr 14, 2010.

1. miikap macrumors newbie

I have captured video with Canon HF200 and imported it from camera to iMovie 09. It seems that iMovie uses this codec called icod (Apple Intermediate Codec) when importing. Is there any program available that can de-interlace interlaced icod video while playing? Seems that VLC can't handle icod. I also tried mplayer extended but with no luck (audio is ok but it does not show video at all).

Or is there any way to change the codec used by iMovie when importing videos?

thanks for help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The codec is called Apple Intermediate Codec and abbreviated AIC, not icod.

You can use MPEG Streamclip to batch convert the captured files into another format with another codec if you like, and it even has some de-interlacing features.

I don't know if iMovie can import footage with another codec, as AIC is needed to properly edit the footage, as H264 (the codec of the source, most likely) is not meant for editing.

Why don't you copy the original files from the camcorder's flash storage device to your HDD and use them?

3. miikap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the clarification. VLC player just gave an error message regarding to support of icod codec so it stuck in my head.

I just wanted to be able to play (with deinterlacing) those interlaced videos before I have the final .h264 video edited and exported from iMovie.

I haven't tried this with HF200 but at least with my older Canon (FS100) those videos that were taken from camera to HDD couldn't be imported to iMovie. I needed MPEG Streamclip and Apple's MPEG-2 playback component to convert the files for iMovie. I'd like to avoid this extra work.

I can live with the interlaced video but I just though that if there is an player available which handles AIC and deinterlacing it would be nice. Thanks anyway :)