Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilhp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
I read about a couple of ways but I'm wondering what is the easiest and/or best way to play an ipod touch through my car speakers. I drive a 2000 toyota camry.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I read about a couple of ways but I'm wondering what is the easiest and/or best way to play an ipod touch through my car speakers. I drive a 2000 toyota camry.

I've always bought a new receiver head that included an aux input. I was never a fan of those devices that used the radio freq's to play music through but I admit I bought one that had both options (radio and aux) last year and it's still pretty good quality. I don't think I could tell a difference anymore between sound quality. That would be my option.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
like he said above, an FM Transmitter would be ideal. if you go this way, pay the big bucks and get an itrip or something higher in price. it will be of better sound and build quality. but if your car has a tape player, some do, others don't. you could get a tape adapter for an quick way to get it to work.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
Since your car is a 2000 model, I'm assuming it doesn't have a tape deck. I use an FM transmitter that works decent. There is occasional static but it is much cheaper than replacing the faceplate to accept aux in.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I went with GROM on my Mazda6 last year. I bought off eBay and the module that at the time was suitable to my car was $86. I installed it myself. They sell an adapter that is probably appropriate to your Camry's head unit.

http://gromaudio.com/store/all-toy.html

Most of them act like CD changers. They can typically play the first several playlists on the device or alternatively they have a mode where you can play whatever is cued up on the device. If you have steering wheel controls, you can use them to change tracks, etc, on the current playlist/album. I mostly only use it if I drive long-distance, but it's nice to have.

It looks like the latest ones offer a number of features mine from last year didn't have.

(Also I see you want to put the iPod touch in, which ought to be fine, but do be warned that my original idea, of getting a disk-based iPod and leaving it in the car, isn't a good idea in the North in the winter, as the iPod will seize up and not work until you bring it inside and warm it up. :( ).

callum23

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

someone's rich

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I highly recommend the Griffin iTrip Pocket FM Transmitter for iPod nano 2G. It's older (you can still find it at Amazon and elsewhere), says it's for the nano 2G (but it works great with my Touch 3G and should work with any iPod with the usual dock connecter) and you can get it for less than $10.00 . I tried some of the newer models from Griffin and I don't like them as much.

A direct connect always works best but the FM transmitter can work well if you do the following.

1) Put it next to your car radio (The closer the better).
2) Spend awhile going through the stations on your radio to find a block of weak radio signals and try the fm transmitter on that frequency (trial and error).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.