How to play local wi-fi games without a router

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hausjam, May 28, 2014.

1. hausjam macrumors member

I play asphalt 8 with the kids quite a bit. I set up a race over local wi-fi, and we race each other. This works fine at home.

Is there a way to do this when we are on the road, or someplace where there is no wi-fi? Most of our ipads have cellular connections, but personal hotspot doesn't seem to allow them to see each other.

Is my only choice to buy a pocket router? Or is there a way to setup the ipads for an ad hoc network?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not familiar with asphalt 8, but this is why when I look for games, I look for ones that use bluetooth to hook up. If no bluetooth, then I'm afraid you do need a router, though if you have a MacBook, I believe you can set that up as a router.

3. hausjam thread starter macrumors member

I played around a little last night, and I did find a solution, for anyone who might come here looking for one.

I connected all the ipads to the personal hotspot on my iphone. And sure enough, when I started a local wifi race, all the ipads saw each other. I tried this some time ago with a different game, and it didn't work. But with asphalt, it does.

It's worth noting, that the iOS device that acts as the hotspot won't be able to join in though. When I loaded asphalt on my phone, as it was acting as the hotspot, asphalt reported that there was no internet connection. But that's fine for my purposes.