How to Play Music Videos in the Background?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Since upgrading to iOS 4.2.1 I find a way to play music videos in the background. Is it possible?

I want to do this so I don't have to purchase the audio version of the same song, ultimately buying the song twice. And there are times when playing a music video is not safe, like driving a car, but I still want to listen to the song.

2. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

i cant see any other reason why you would want to do that, other than what you described. but, if you want to listen to the song while driving the car, just play it and dont look at the screen.

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

uh maybe if you want to listen to a song on youtube while doing something else on your phone???? should definitely be an option to do this.

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

i guess, but cant you use pandora or something to listen to that song? there has to be SOME music app that allows for instant song gratification.

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

not possible.

deal with it, buy a different phone, or submit it as a feature request (which will likely be denied due to Apple's commitment to "fast-app switching" instead of true multitasking to improve battery life).

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

This feature was possible prior to the latest upgrade. But again, I want to be able to play "my" purchased songs. Some of them happen to be in the music video format. I'd rather not have to run down my battery due to the extra power requirements of the screen.

Seems like Apple is forcing customers to also purchase the audio only version of songs, if you want to shut the screen off and play it.

8. MaKidzOnYaLip macrumors newbie

Might Take A While To Get Used To...

You Can Play The Video, Press The Sleep/ Wake Button And Then Double Tap Home Button And Press Play. Another Way Is To Play Video, Exit Out And Double Tap Home Button Slide To The Left On The Multitask Bar And Press Play... Hope This Help =)

9. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

This hasn't worked since the upgrade to multi tasking.

Now this works......thanks!

10. MaKidzOnYaLip macrumors newbie

Oh Thats Weird... It Still Works On Mine And I Got The Latest Update Of iOS.... Double Tap Home Button When Its On The Lock Screen

11. JamesMB, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

So you are saying that if you double tap the home button, that you can listen to a MUSIC VIDEO, without the video being on the screen.

12. Resist, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Apparently why I couldn't get it to work this way is because I pressed the home button twice right away, after pressing the sleep/wake button. What works is to press the home button once to view the home screen, then hit the home button twice to show the audio controls. The screen stays on after the music starts but then it goes dark after a few seconds.

Thanks again for your help!

13. AndrewWalsh macrumors newbie

AndrewWalsh

What I do is say you are watching a music video on youtube, press the home button, then double tap the home button, slide over to the audio controls, press play, and the audio from the video will play but you can do other things while it is playing instead of watching the video itself. Only the audio will play. Good luck! :)

14. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

This was already suggested in previous posts. I was given 2 ways to make it work and have it all sorted out now. But thanks!