How to play rmvb files with .srt subtitles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chan2004, Jul 2, 2008.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a movie in .rmvb(real media) format. I also have the associated subtitle in .srt format.

But when I open it using real player, it doesn't show the subtitles.

After searching in google, I found that for windows, there is a seprate codec to show subtitles. I haven't found any for Mac OS.

Can someone suggest anyother player or any other way to play this file with subtitle

thanks

2. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

can someone atleast tell any software to conert rmvb files to avi files

i tried ff*** software, but it didn't work

pls suggest

3. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Have you tried using VLC? You can specify the subtitle file there in addition to the video file. It might work (and certainly it would take less time/effort than to convert the file to .avi).

4. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

i tried vlc

but it couldn't open the file.
    it displayed a message telling ' the file is not a movie file':(

5. Fabiano macrumors regular

So? no one knows how to solve this? I cant believe that Im not able to play a rmvb file with the subtitle on my Mac! I researched all over the internet and could not find any answer... Shall I have to take my brother's PC just to watch a damn rmvb video? Im depressed :(

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

RealMedia has never supported OSX very well, and it seems that the trend is continuing.

7. ionlygreat macrumors member

This is most definitely not a question of real media supporting OS X. I had the same problem trying to run rmvb files on my windows laptop with subtitles - i tried everything, made sure the .srt file was named correctly, and then finally was forced to so some searching online.
    To the best of my knowledge, rmvb files can't be played with subtitles. I concede that it's a great format (file sizes are incredibly small), but really, I don't see why Real just doesn't close down and stop bothering ppl with their eccentric software.
    Oh, and VLC doesn't support rmvb files.

8. Fabiano macrumors regular

Actually its pretty easy to play rmvb with subs on windows. There is at least Media Player Classic (found in k-lite codec pack) that runs on windows, and that is what I use to do that.

And I totally agree with your last sentence about Real! hahaha

9. konutheOranus macrumors newbie

10. lauraroda macrumors newbie

Helpppp

Please I have episodes of my favorite Tv shows and I can't watch because they are .rmvb... I tried several versions of real player and it doesn't support this type of files.. I keep reading everyone saying to download real player but It doesn't work for me? WHY?! I am going crazyyyy!!!