How to play sound through ext. monitor's headphone port when connected by HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Asthmatic Kitty, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Asthmatic Kitty macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

So I have my 12" MacBook connected to an external display through HDMI. I have external speakers connected to the display via the headphone jack. The display has no built-in speakers.

Is there a way for me to play sound through the external speakers when connected by HDMI? System prefs only gives the option through DisplayPort.

(I know I can connect the external speakers to the headphone port of the MacBook, but would prefer if I could keep them connected to the display instead.)

[​IMG]

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

Are you using the Apple USB C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor to connect from the MacBook's USB C to the HDMI cable?

3. Asthmatic Kitty thread starter macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

Yep.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Do the external speakers have a headphone jack, as well?
    Can you use that?

5. Asthmatic Kitty thread starter macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

Not sure what you mean? the monitor has a headphone jack, but can't seem to get sound to go from the mac -> hdmi -> monitor -> speakers.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

Does the new MacBook support audio through HDMI? It should but of curiosity...about this mac>system report>audio. Maybe the adaptor is bad? Or check audio options in Audio/MIDI setup utility. I am more confused on why it says DisplayPort and not HDMI under your audio output if you're using an HDMI cable. A search on Google turns up nothing on that.

7. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

I have a similar setup with yours, but the monitor is Dell U2515H. Yes, it plays sound on my external speakers through the 3.5 jack on the monitor. Make sure you plug in the 3.5 from the subwoofer to the monitor, and the 3.5 from the speakers to the volume controller (at least that's what works on my simple Logitech speakers, 2 small speakers and a subwoofer). I'll have a look again when I get home, I could be wrong about the 3.5 setup, but I remember I have to fiddle around with how the 3.5 jack plugged in.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There may be a setting on your monitor where you can direct the sound output.

9. Asthmatic Kitty thread starter macrumors member

Asthmatic Kitty

well this is weird - just tried the exact same setup again (except no power cord connected to multiport adapter) and this time the audio is coming through the speakers just fine!

@Tomorrow - yeah i'd had a look through the monitor's settings, couldn't find any option for audio output.

Thanks for all the replies guys.