How to play spotify on your iphone for (almost) free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by A420Turbo, Jul 26, 2011.

1. A420Turbo macrumors member

1-Get a Spotify account and install spotify on desired computer (desktop preferred)

2-Get splashtop remote for your iphone and the computer that you installed spotify on.

3-Connect iphone to comuter through splashtop remote and you have full access to your free spotify account AND your whole computer with audio... Enjoy!

Additional info: The comp I'm streaming from is windows xp and streaming to an iphone 4 with 4.3.1 havent tested anything other than that. Let me know how it works for you. Only downside to splashtop remote is I dont think the app multitasks so if you back out of the app you will have to restablish connection (its automatic so it only takes a couple of seconds). Its not a 100% workaround solution but perfect if you really want to hear a certain song on the spot.

There was a few settings I had to mess around with on the computer end.. In the splashtop streamer on the pc go to the settings tab an make sure the box is checked for the redirect sound and mute computer.

I also had to play around with the drop down menu below that regarding the remote client playing the same sound from the PC to (My Speaker name) Audio-Stereo Mix.

Lastly I found it easier to establish a connection when I used the "Internet discovery" option connecting my google account to sync devices. Don't think this step is necessary tho only if you're having problems connecting.

I dont know if you will have the same options/settings as I did so please post here if you have any problems or questions.

If anyone comes up with a better solution please let everyone know!

2. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

I see using massive amounts of data if you're not on WiFi - more than you would if you just used the iPhone app. I think paying the $10 a month and using the Spotify app would be cheaper/smarter than buying that app and having to upgrade your data plan because you're not only streaming the audio, but the "video" too.

3. A420Turbo thread starter macrumors member

Srry forgot to mention I have the unlimited plan from when I first bought the 3G. Good point though for people that don't have unlimited data available to them. I'm sure it uses a good amount of data even though I haven't tested it to see. Ill try later on to see about how much data a song consumes on average.

4. A420Turbo thread starter macrumors member

Just did a little test this morning... Dont have a spotify subscription to compare data streaming consumption to so I compared it with Pandora and Simpleplayer. To much of my surprise both apps consumed more data than my spotify workaround. A song on Pandora averaged 5.2 MB received, simpleplayer averaged 4.3 MB received and my Spotify workaround using the splashtop remote app consumed 3.9 MB on average. I guess as long as your not browsing around your computer or playing video on splashtop remote you dont consume very much data. I find this work around to be great to listen to a couple of songs here and there. Worse case scenario if you find you use it a lot you know getting a spotify mobile subscription will be worthwhile. If your on the fence about getting a spotify sub try before you buy!

If anyone has a Spotify premium account and would like to contribute how much data a song consumes on average (2-3 songs) I would like to do a direct comparison thanks!