How to play the Welcome video - again?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dtemp, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dtemp macrumors member

I'm giving an old Dual G4 Power Mac to my father for Christmas. I would like him to see the 10.5 multi-lingual welcome video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkZCtPSAGOw) when he boots the computer for the first time. What can I do before I shutdown the computer for the last time before I give it to him so it plays the video on the next boot?

Ideally I'd like for the OS to show the video full screen like it does after an install, and then show the login window (or in his case, automatically log in). I'd prefer not to add the video to his account's login items :)

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just reformat the hard drive and do a fresh OS install. After the install is finished and it restarts just hold down the power button and turn it off.

If you want to install updates or apps start it in Target disk mode and install them from another Mac.

3. dtemp thread starter macrumors member

Ok so here's what I tried:

1) renamed /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone to .AppleSetupDone.old
    2) shutdown
    3) turn back on, view video, yay.
    4) can't get out of the Setup Assistant, so do a Cmd+Q to shutdown, and turn back on computer
    5) Boot into single user mode by holding Cmd+S
    6) Make filesystem writable by doing mount -o update /
    7) rename /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone.old to .AppleSetupDone
    8) exit

Ok so this shows the video, and semi-easily returns the computer to functionality, but it would be nice if there was a way to get out of the Setup Assistant and log into an account. Anyone have any suggestions on this?