How to port Siri to the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ideal.dreams, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have read online that Siri is not hardware exclusive to the A5 chip and that it can be ported to the iPhone 4. I later saw a video of an iPhone 4 that actually had Siri on it.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks!

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Considering the iphone 4 and the iphone4s look the same, are you sure you didn't mistake the 4s as a 4? :)

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It was proven to be a 4 in the video.

4. Qoo macrumors 6502

it could be done with a jailbreak, but not now.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

This is great progress. The first video showed the SIRI working... but WAY laggy.

The second video was quite smooth. I'm curious to see how this progresses.

6. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I am thinking of buying the new 4s mainly due to Siri. If it is ported to the 4, I will sure buy the 4 instead of the 4s.

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

If you going to buy one either way why wouldn't you just get the 4S?

8. ejisfun macrumors regular

I would definitely pay the 50 dollars more for the 4s to get Apple-included Siri and the faster speed. I think this is more for people like me who already have a 4 and would need to pay 450 bucks to upgrade.

9. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

So does anyone know how the guy in the video did it? Or have any clues on how it was done? I'm not eligible for the 4S just get (working on getting it earlier, believe me) and I want Siri so bad :eek:

10. SilverOnemi macrumors member

the guy in the video was the first to get siri working on an unauthorized device, and he mainly loaded the interface, because siri requires server side support to answer your questions and since apple is blocking requests from anything but an iPhone 4s.... doing this would be totally useless.

eventually some one will spoof that but for now you can't. and he somehow transferred the files from a 4s... not very intuitive or something a regular joe can probably pull off.

11. moargolems macrumors regular

...if Apple won't start blocking iPhone 4 IMEIs.

12. shortys408 macrumors regular

I have a 4S but this is still good news because I would like siri on my iPad 2.

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    SIRI on my iPad would be awesome - especially for dictating notes to good reader

14. hackthatphone, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011

hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

That is how I'd put an end to this. Or use an ECID whitelist.

15. labman, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

jackoplane and ih8sn0w also Chpwn and few others have been working on this as of yet it's not ready. it's work In progress. They have also not mentioned how they are getting around Apples server or if so nobody knows how well Apple can fix it. Pretty obvious now that Siri was a selling tool and not just because 4S was the only idevice that could handle it. For now we have enough Work threads already imo.

back Jackpotlanealready stated that just porting siri on a idevice will not give you Siri. Who ever posted that article is providing misleading info.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Per 9to5mac, Steven Troughton-Smith finally got it talking to Apple's servers by copying a 4S server validation key. It works 100%. If it weren't for the lack of a 4th break in the antenna above the mute key you'd never know it wasn't a 4S.

This isn't for the lay user, that's for sure, as it requires a jailbroken 4S to get the validation key and that's not currently a public release (heck it's pre alpha even).

17. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

also said they won't 'release' it themselves due to legalities. just doing it for the lulz at the mo.

18. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I think the best approach to all of this will be to post a how-to tutorial that basically says "this is how to get the required files/keys from a 4S, get them yourself at your own risk". Plenty of us know someone with a 4S that would let us "borrow" it for a little while. My mother upgraded from a 3GS to a 4S, and I'd love to have a how-to that would allow me to add Siri to my iPhone 4 by using her phone.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

according to some of the people working on Siri for different Idevices is roughly 2 weeks. I say wait and see how it plays out. of course those looking to be genie pigs have fun.

20. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Won't happen. It is illegal and no one wants to get sued!

21. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

It's not possible at the moment, there's no official guide and there's no A5 Jailberak (i.e. iPhone 4S jailbreak), so you can't get the correct files.
    Also, this "illegal" discussion could be applied to App Sync / Installous / Facetime port / Multitasking Port and those other million things Apple didn't allow older devices to do. Someone will post a how-to or even release it. Don't worry ;)

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

hmmm looks like MacRumors disagrees Installous is certainly not allowed however on the front page they are talking about Siri. Power of a Apple Lawyer.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/29/siri-hacked-to-run-on-an-ipod-touch-and-iphone-4/

23. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

the difference being, the maker of app sync et al. wasn't bothered about the legalities and packaged and released it.

these guys do care and said they probably won't release, so it'l be a while before someone who does want to distribute it shares.