Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narenh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I'm in a bit of an odd situation but I figure someone here may have done something similar for a past iPhone. I'm with AT&T, but I when I travel I use my Verizon work SIM with unlimited international data. I keep my AT&T SIM in a plugged-in extra iPhone to properly forward iMessages and SMS while I'm out of the country. Anyways, my requirements are:
1) Get the CDMA iPhone X
2) On launch day
3) Even though I'll be out of the country and unable to go to an Apple store in person

Is there any way to do this on Apple's site? If not, is it worth opening a Verizon account with a cheapo Android phone in early October so I have a line/account set up when I go through the pre-order process? To clarify, I intend to pay full price up front and money isn't really a concern (though I would prefer to spend < $100 to guarantee I'll be able to do a pre-order).

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
With such limited production numbers, I suspect the SIM free model will be way delayed. Unless, of course, it is a massive flop.

Last year I changed to Verizon Postpaid so I could get the CDMA model. I just moved back to prepaid after a year for more data, since I don't want to upgrade phones yearly.

Hopefully at some point the Intel modem (possible modem for ATT/T-Mobile like last year) will get CDMA support. Or Verizon/Sprint just sunset CDMA so it doesn't matter anymore.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I'd like to know this too. I passed on getting a 7, but was waiting until you could buy a multi carrier phone outright. I'm still using a 5S so would prefer to not have to wait several additional months after November.

desmond2046

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Columbus, OH, United States
I am on AT&T network and plan to preorder iPhone X and pay the full price.
Since model A1865 (Qualcomm) supports more networks than A1901 (Intel), I would really want to have the Qualcomm model for future proof and international travel.
It seems like you could order SIM-free iPhone 8 but not iPhone X from Apple website. The Verizon version would require an active Verizon account, which I don't have.

My question is what is the best way to get the Qualcomm version at launch?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I am on AT&T network and plan to preorder iPhone X and pay the full price.
Since model A1865 (Qualcomm) supports more networks than A1901 (Intel), I would really want to have the Qualcomm model for future proof and international travel.
It seems like you could order SIM-free iPhone 8 but not iPhone X from Apple website. The Verizon version would require an active Verizon account, which I don't have.

My question is what is the best way to get the Qualcomm version at launch?

Find someone who is on Verizon who is willing to order one for you.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Yup Verizon or wait until they sell an unlocked model. Those are your options. Verizon pre-orders are going to be an absolute poop-show now that everyone wants the "best" iPhone though... Might have a better chance of getting a launch day phone on T-Mobile/ATT because everyone thinks the VZW model is worth begging a VZW customer to buy for you lol...

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
This pisses me off, I don't want a carrier locked phone. I don't have a contract and don't want one. Carrier locking is bullcrap especially if you are paying $1300 for a phone.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
With such limited production numbers, I suspect the SIM free model will be way delayed. Unless, of course, it is a massive flop.

Last year I changed to Verizon Postpaid so I could get the CDMA model. I just moved back to prepaid after a year for more data, since I don't want to upgrade phones yearly.

Hopefully at some point the Intel modem (possible modem for ATT/T-Mobile like last year) will get CDMA support. Or Verizon/Sprint just sunset CDMA so it doesn't matter anymore.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-to-shut-down-2g-cdma-1x-network-by-end-2019

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
You’ll need phone number, last four digits of social, billing zip, and the account pin. So most unless they have a very willing friend or family member will not be ordering the Verizon model at pre order. Not for nothing the intel model is the sim free for most of the world I’ll never understand the schemes just to get the extra $6 in resale value. It’s a much smoother process to just order the one you have the credentials for. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Givmeabrek

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
You’ll need phone number, last four digits of social, billing zip, and the account pin. So most unless they have a very willing friend or family member will not be ordering the Verizon model at pre order. Not for nothing the intel model is the sim free for most of the world I’ll never understand the schemes just to get the extra $6 in resale value. It’s a much smoother process to just order the one you have the credentials for. :rolleyes:

I don't even travel. Couldn't care less about resale. I just want to be able to know I have the "best" iPhone X.

People are funny

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I figured that was the sentiment of most

I don't get why people won't just come out and say that. It's like people who try to keep their phone "pristine" for the $20 difference in resale value between "good" and "flawless" (check out Gazelle if you don't believe me...).

It's not about "resale". It's about their own OCD. It's really ok to just admit it!

Same thing here: people want the "best" iPhone. The VZW X is objectively the "best". Is the difference worth caring about? Based on the number of "how do I order a Verizon X if I'm on carrier XYZ?" threads, maybe it is.

:p

Reactions: Dirtydutch

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Resell value won't be any different if that's your sole concern

Craigslist and eBay people won't even know what the hell youre talking about if you
List "qualcomm model"

They're looking for unlocked, gsm, or cdma.

Sure cdma carrier users will need your model

But otherwise you're overthinking it

Is it confirmed no sim free model at launch? Lame

They offer 8 sim free at launch. Maybe cause they knew it had 7s appeal

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Yep, the Intel/Qualcomm thing is overblown. Course, I have a Verizon phone...so I couldn't care less. ;)

And yes to the earlier question about the Qualcomm being 'dumbed down'.

narenh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Ok, so aside from the arguments about whether or not this is worth it (for me it is, I spend about 50 days a year outside the US), it looks like an active Verizon account will be required to pre-order. Does anyone have advice on how to sign up for the cheapest non-contract plan where I could order the X on and then cancel after the first month (again, I’m paying in full up front for the phone).

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Yep. Create an account before 10/27 and then cancel it once you have the phone in hand. Then you can get the "best" iPhone. It should only cost you an extra $50 or so, assuming you get launch day delivery (I wouldn't cancel my line until you have the phone in hand, or Murphy's Law will mean Apple will cancel your order once they get word you no longer have an active line with Verizon (since that's part of their agreement with them, otherwise you wouldn't need to provide credentials in the first place...)).

This could easily backfire if you don't get launch day delivery though, and based on the number of NON-Verizon customers clamoring to get the Verizon phone (in addition to all the other Verizon customers already), that may be easier said than done.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
All the craziness opening accounts, lines, etc. :D

Seems like a new thread every day!

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
This has me concerned. A lot of people seem to be clamoring for the Verizon model. I recently switched to Verizon from AT&T (3 weeks ago) and it was partly due to the Qualcomm iPhone model. I wonder how many people will be creating accounts just to get this model. I want the X on launch day!

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
This has me concerned. A lot of people seem to be clamoring for the Verizon model. I recently switched to Verizon from AT&T (3 weeks ago) and it was partly due to the Qualcomm iPhone model. I wonder how many people will be creating accounts just to get this model. I want the X on launch day!

It’s frustrating for actual Verizon customers who need the CDMA v. The users who just want it because of . . . Status I guess? (I understand there may be AT&T and T Mobile users with “legitimate” needs and my frustrations are not directed toward them) From Apples perspective it really should only have one version. So much easier to make and for us to acquire.

Oh well . . . That’s litigation and patents.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
As a T-Mobile user I was in the same boat as OP. But after given it some thought I decided not to jump through hoops just to get the Qualcomm version. I will preorder my T-Mobile version via Apple as planned. After I receive it, I will wait 14 days then go to an Apple store to see if they have any Verizon model X in stock. If they do, I’ll just return my T-Mobile iPhone and get the Verizon. If no stock in store that’s fine too, I’ll just hold on to my T-Mobile. But I’m not gonna sign any short term contracts and then cancel it just to get the Qualcomm phone.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Intel model is inferior. If you buy the Intel model then you are buying an inferior product with worse signal quality and worse battery life. Word is getting out and Apple better shape up, customers are refusing to buy inferior products for the same price as non-inferior products.

Spread the word -- the Qualcomm parts are the real iPhone 7s / 8 / X. The Intel parts are iPhone MINUS.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I'd like to know this too. I passed on getting a 7, but was waiting until you could buy a multi carrier phone outright. I'm still using a 5S so would prefer to not have to wait several additional months after November.

I'm not sure what this thread is about. Isn't an unlocked phone basically the same as a sim free phone. IF I did have a sim free phone and I wanted to us ATT, would I need an ATT sim card in a sim free phone. I have the ATT IP8 (fully paid). A few days ago I requested it to be unlocked and in less than 24 hours, ATT unlocked. I know with this phone now I can go overseas, pickup a local sim card and be good to go.

The thing I don't know is if my unlocked IP8 could EVER be used with Verizon or anyother CDMA network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.