How to Preorder and Port My Number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcmo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. kcmo macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to port my number from T-Mobile to AT&T and get the new iPhone 4S. This will be my first iPhone so I'm not familiar with how pre-ordering works.

Will there be an option on the 7th to pre-order and transfer my line?

Trying to figure out the best way to do this.

TIA for your help!

2. rmt5 macrumors member

This is my most pressing question at the moment too. Will porting be incorporated into the Apple pre-order process?

People who have preordered in the past... was that an option?

3. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

4. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Guys, you can port over whenever you want after you receive the phone. If you want to get the iPhone w/ the number already ported over I'm sure there's an option. But remember, you can always port after you receive the phone. That IMO is the easiest way to go. Call AT&T the minute you get the iPhone and in less than 5 minutes you'll be ported over.

I ported over from Sprint to AT&T last year after the iPhone was already activated on a new number. Less hassle. Trust me, if there's one mistake on the port-in information. The port does not go through. You will have a non-working iPhone.

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Preordered the iphone 4. And for what I remember, there was a section that allowed you to port your number. It doesn't activate until you receive it so, it took a couple hours for the number to be transfered.

6. cityathrt macrumors regular

^ A bit of a long shot, but do you know if I'm able to do this even if I'm on a corporate plan?

7. ignus graius macrumors regular

No expert here, but I have been around when people wanted to get this done. I believe if you're wanting to port a number from a corporate plan you'll need to go to a Verizon/AT&T/Sprint retail store and have them call your company and confirm the release of the number, as the iTunes/Apple store method will only work for porting personal lines. I'm remembering this from when the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive in the U.S., so things could be different by now.

Couldn't hurt to give a call to the customer service of your carrier and see.

8. rmt5 macrumors member

And porting my number automatically cancels my service from my previous provider? And they'll send me a bill for the ETF, etc? Sorry for the ignorance as to these things.

9. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. This makes me a bit nervous...ordering the phone as a new line and THEN calling AT&T to port, but I guess it worked for you.

This would be great but I wouldn't find out if it's an option til I preorder. Maybe I'll call the Apple store later. Thanks!

----------

I'd also like to know this. Have been with T-Mobile for over 9 years and haven't ever switched carriers before.

10. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

I called the Apple Store, and a local AT&T store.

The Apple store confirmed that I could pre-order from them and then take the phone into AT&T to have my T-Mobile number ported over.

The AT&T store said I should just pre-order on their site and there would be an option during the process to port my line.

Guess the decision is mine.

11. pandariya macrumors newbie

I have a question, I'm on under a family plan for t-mobile but want to open up my own account for the iphone, do i just pre order it on friday and wait for it to show up?

12. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Typically yes. Keep in mind that you will need all your account information, including any passwords and/or PIN numbers when you activate with AT&T.

13. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

What I personally did was I signed up with AT&T yesterday without a contract and had them port my number while I did so.

I have an unlocked BB 9700, so I'm just using that while I wait.

14. medmath44 macrumors newbie

What should I do if I'm leaving my parents' family plan on T-Mobile?