How to preorder without losing unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applebro, Sep 11, 2014.

1. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

Everytime I try to order an iphone 5S (like a practice run for the 6 lol) and I click full price, it takes me to select a plan even though the price is $550 and there's a little message saying that i'm about to lose my unlimited data (VZW)

I'm paranoid that they've set a web of traps to screw the ULD guys over with this pre order thing lol

anyone shed some insight plz?

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

3. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Verizon is going to do EVERYTHING in their power to swipe your unlimited data plan. I highly recommend going through Apple and doing it in person so you can confirm with the sales associates exactly what you are doing. A receipt showing full price will be your best weapon if/when Verizon tries to say you "upgraded."

4. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I did a whole process through the Apple Store with an iphone 5s , and everything went smooth and was able to keep my unlimited from -AT&T

I of course, didn't finalize my payment. That would of been a disaster.

5. applebro thread starter macrumors regular

applebro

Verizon

Can't order through apple since they only offer the GSM phone which lacks certain LTE bands iirc

6. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Dude, what!? Apple sells the Verizon model every year, this time is no different. I just tried via the Apple store online and it kept my unlimited data at the very end right before I'd place the order for a 5S. Use Apple.

7. applebro thread starter macrumors regular

applebro

check it out:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone6

8. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

9. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I'm in your boat. I don't think we can order from Apple to keep unlimited because as far as I can see, it only lets me do the upgrade price. I'm technically due an upgrade, but I don't want to lose my plan. I think we can just order from Verizon using this technique:

Click on "Upgrade My Device" on main page. Select the device you wish to upgrade. Select the new iPhone. Click on "Show full price option" and select. Click on "Add to cart and select plan". It takes a page where you can add protection etc. Make sure you select decline protection plan if you dont want it. It will then take you to a page to add accessories. Again if you don't want anything, click on "Continue to review cart" From there it will take you to your current unlimited plan. From there you can checkout and pay full price and keep unlimited.

(A previous poster posted that, I give credit to him.)

10. applebro thread starter macrumors regular

applebro

"upgrade my device"? sounds like a trap lol

I'd hate to lose this unlimited data, especially with XLTE in the area now

what would happen if we bought unsubsidized it as a new customer?

11. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It's not a trap, I've ordered that way for the last two phones and kept my plan.

That's how you buy it from Verizon without losing the plan.

12. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

13. Jades macrumors 6502

Back when I had verizon what I did was I started a new line of service and then just cancelled the line the day I got that iPhone. Put my SIM card from my old iPhone to my new one right away. Paid the ETF and it was as if I am paying full price

14. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

There's not an option to purchase the phone for the unsubsidized price for Verizon or AT&T. It might be different for people who aren't due an upgrade, but as far as I know you can only purchase on-contract from Apple on launch.

15. applebro thread starter macrumors regular

applebro

Clearly you don't for "contract free" CDMA

I may just do this to be safe

16. vegastime macrumors regular

Agree with Cool Pup. Not a trap. This is what I did last year, so hopefully, it will work this year.

17. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I just tested it. Seems to work the same as always. We just have to hope that the iPhone 6 pre-order is available in that way.

18. applebro thread starter macrumors regular

applebro

awesome

thanks guys

19. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It's pretty easy to do, just be sure that you're getting the full price before confirming anything final and we should keep our original plans.

20. applebro thread starter macrumors regular

applebro

it worked! youre amazing haha

21. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

No problem. Glad both you and I got in our orders and kept our plans. :cool:

22. christof macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if I can wait in line at Apple and pay full price (and cancel my queued order through Verizon telesales)? I don't want to wait until 10/7.