How to prep for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbishop93, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Okay guys sorry if this may have been posted already I am just too excited. I finally was able to buy the rMBP through ebay for a great deal. I ordered the 2013 512GB SSD 2.7ghz 16gb RAM. My question is though, I am a brand new Mac user I have never used a MAC before besides fixing them with and resetting the prm and some linux work with user-mode and such, basically support stuff. Which brings me to a totally random point but Macs have zero security when you can boot to single user mode without ever logging in, but that's besides the point.

What is the question here is how should I prep for this I currently have a Windows 8 PC and I plan on selling it literally the day after I setup my new rMBP, but I have all of my files and movies and music and programs and stuff as you would know on this computer. I do have an external HDD and I was just wondering what's the best way to transfer my stuff to my new Mac, I mean I was thinking about just using ghost and cloning my w8 drive and then adding it to the partition of the mac to use with bootcamp, but I want my music and movies and docs and stuff to be on the mac side as well. Plus I've also decided that I don't think I will use bootcamp I will probably just use Parallels. So what do you guys think the easiest, fastest way to make the switch is? Like I want my w8 computer now to basically be the same just in parallels on the mac and I want my mac like finder and stuff to have the majority of my documents, downloads, music, etc. Also does anyone know of like a PC to Mac program type thing. Or am I just going to have to go through each of the programs I use and download the mac version? Or can I just run any of the PC only programs in parallels? I'm new to how all this works, once again I have never owned or setup a Mac further than like the 5 min setup. Thanks.

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Confusing.

Just copy all your files onto the external drive. Disperse them as needed between OSX and Windows if you decide to use boot camp.

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

A great way to run Windows 8 is to use Windows To Go. I run Windows 8 Enterprise (Win2Go) off a 128GB SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure. The R/W speeds are upwards of 200MB/s, the drive itself is capable of more than twice that.

4. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah sorry, and isn't there like a transfer from pc type thing on the setup or something? And I'm not just talking files I'm talking about programs and stuff that are serial keyed for my computer now. Will they work if just copy the program?

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Migration Assistant.

6. cbs20 macrumors member

Windows programs don't work with a Mac unless there is a Mac version of that particular software.

7. yinz macrumors 6502a

What he said.. so easy.

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Start reading every documentary and biography you can on Steve Jobs in order to find out exactly how he wanted you to feel when using a Mac.

9. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

You just reminded me I'm watching an advanced screening of JOBs this weekend. As much as people might hate Kutcher portraying Steve, I'm excited to see it.