How to prep jailbroken + unlocked iphone 3g for sale

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Crane, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Crane macrumors newbie

I'd like to sell my jailbroken and unlocked iphone on ebay. What exactly do I need to do in order to get all of my personal information/apps/etc off of the phone? It's running the 3.0 firmware and I jailbroke/unlocked with redsn0w and ultrasn0w.

I've been getting all kinds of conflicting opinions about what I need to do to get the data off. I'd like to sell it as a jailbroken/unlocked phone. I don't mind rejailbreaking and unlocking it. However, it's not clear to me exactly what steps need to happen and in what order.

I've been reading all over the internet for several hours now and am thoroughly confused. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. saturnino3 macrumors member

Head over to www.iclarified.com for an excellent guide on jailbreaking and unlocking your iPhone.

Their how-to guides are very useful.

3. Crane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I know how to jailbreak and unlock. What I'm not sure about is how to get all of my personal data off of the phone in such a way that either a) keeps the jailbreak/unlock or b) doesn't prevent me from re-jailbreaking/unlocking.

For example, should I use the "Reset all setting" and "Erase all content and settings" on the iphone? Should I do a restore to the 3.0 firmware file in iTunes? I've heard this can break unlock permanently on the phone? Does this actually erase all of the data on the phone?

Thanks for the help all.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can restore it to 3.0 and then rejailbreak and unlock with ultrasnow.
    Once you restore all you data will be off it. Make sure to setup as new and not restore from backup thru itunes.

5. Crane thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks. I'll post back here in a couple of days just to confirm that this works for any future people on the board searching for this issue.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Please do so. I'll probably want to do this as well when I get my 4G and sell my 3GS as unlocked.

7. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

the procedure will be different for a 3Gs, where you will need either the old bootrom, so you can restore with a custom FW, or your SHSH blobs on file locally or through cydia for a FW that can be unlocked.

8. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

How about for 3.1.3 on a 3G? What are the options for jailbreak and unlock? Thx.

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I didn't even notice that the OP had a 3G:p. My 3GS has the old bootrom (my phone is unlocked even though I'm using it on AT&T) and it's on 3.1.2. Plus I do have SHSHs on file for 3.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 so I should be good.

10. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

You can JB with all the usual suspects but no unlock atm for 3.1.3

11. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

That's not true.

I'm unlocked right now and I have 3.1.3 on a 3G iphone....:confused:

12. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

What method did u use?

13. zaydia macrumors newbie

(not the original poster but....) I too have a 3g, running 3.1.3 and was able to jailbreak and unlock. I have the (supposedly) rare 5.08 bootloader, which allowed me to use Fuzzy Band to downgrade my baseband to 4.26.08 and use ultrasn0w to unlock.