How To Prepare Action/Storm Scene...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Feb 24, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

In a film I am planning on shooting soon I want to finish with a climatic storm + explosion finish.

I have purchased action essentials 2 and am fairly competent in after effects and know how to motion track and composite the effects.

However I was wondering in many of the programs I watch the action scenes are complemented with shaky shots and quick cuts.

Is all the shake done in the camera? If so how will I best achieve this when shooting? (I am using a Panasonic HDC TM300 probably hand held to add shake)

Below are two videos which emulate effects I want to create.

In this one an excerpt from a program called Dead Set at the end is after dropping the wrench.

And in this clip there is a similar storm that I want to try and create and some shaky camera.

Any help towards stock footage or tutorials would be much appreciated as I want to try and make this as professional as possible!

Thanks

2. Seo macrumors regular

Do you mean the slight swaying you're seeing in most shots? This type of slight movement has been discussed before on DVXuser, and the general consensus was a combination of shoulder mounts and smart post processing is the key. Something like the indirails shoulder mount system could be used, and with some tracking done, the same slight swaying could be added to all your clips.

If you mean the very sudden rocking and vibrating during an explosion, you can also do some other stuff with your shoulder mount like moving around to add some dynamic motion. There's a Video Copilot tutorial (the one on the car chase) that teaches how to partially steady the video so you can control how "shaky" it gets. You can also do it all in post with the wiggle script in After Effects (or use that to compliment everything else).

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the first clip is definitely shaking from running with a shoulder mount.

the second (shake during the lightning) looks like a camera wiggle in the compositing app.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Cheers for the help,

Do you have any experiance in shooting scenes like this or any tips of way to convince the actors that there really is a storm as well as the camera man?

Thanks again

Just to mention I am quite competant in After Effects and have done many artificial camera shakes on compositions filmed on a tripod so if there is any complicated technique you are holding out on I am certainly up for a challenge hence why I am attempting a new style of scene!