How to Prepare and Sell MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dkillgo, May 7, 2013.

1. dkillgo macrumors member

Hello,

I am considering selling my early 2011 13' MBP and buying a 15' rMBP for law school.

I did a quick search on the forums here, but wasn't able to come across a quick guide about how I should go about getting my MBP ready to sell. I am mainly concerned with getting my apple ID off of the machine, and backing up all of my information so that when I get the new laptop I can transfer all of my settings/programs over with ease.

So how do I go about making such a back up? How can I be sure that the person I sell the laptop to won't be able to access any of my information? Should I wipe the hard drive and reinstall OSX (but isn't OSX associated with my Apple ID?)?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but I couldn't come across anything and this seems like a topic that has a guide out there somewhere.

Thanks.

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

You can backup your Mac with TimeMachine into another hard disk.

To erase the harddrive, go to utilities > disk utility and do a secure erase and that's it. You might have to install Snow Leopard back into the machine from the DVDs you were provided or your buyer won't be able to use the Mac at all.

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

make a time machine backup on a external drive

insert the DVD for SL or use a usb for whatever lion or mountain lion

proceed to make a new install, go disk utility and use one of the security wipes, warning they take a very long time

install your OS again and sell it

4. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clarifying how I can backup and secure my data.

So since it came with Snow Leopard, I will have to sell it with Snow Leopard? So I am correct that the new OS's that I bought are tied to my apple account? What are my options to sell it with the latest version of the OS?

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

Yes, the OSes you bought are tied to your Apple account. You can install Mountain Lion as a goodwill gesture for your buyer, but personally I don't think its necessary. If the buyer wants to reinstall the OS, he/she will not be able to get back Mountain Lion unless they buy it. But they will always have Snow Leopard.

6. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

Alright. Thanks for the clarification.