How to prepare/backup iPhone for replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiritlevel, Jul 27, 2010.

1. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

I am having my IP4 swapped for a new one at the Apple store tomorrow due to problems.

Please can someone tell me what the exact steps are that I should take to backup my phone and remove all my files from it before I take it to the store so that I can simply bring the new one back and restore all my files to it.

thanks

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Sync it with your computer. Make sure you see "backing up iPhone."

Then just before you relinquish control of your iPhone for the last time, go to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings. Tell the genius before you do it in case s/he needs to see anything on your phone before it's swapped. Don't leave the store without being sure it's erasing itself.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

This.

4. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

5. kasakka macrumors 68020

Backup the phone, remember to sync your contacts and other info as well. Transfer purchases from the iPhone to iTunes. If you have any important SMS messages, it might be a good idea to copy them and paste the text into Notes, then sync your Notes so they're saved.

When you're done, do a Restore on your iPhone and after that do the Reset>Erase all content and settings thing.