How to prepare/backup iPhone for replacement?

spiritlevel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I am having my IP4 swapped for a new one at the Apple store tomorrow due to problems.

Please can someone tell me what the exact steps are that I should take to backup my phone and remove all my files from it before I take it to the store so that I can simply bring the new one back and restore all my files to it.

thanks

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Sync it with your computer. Make sure you see "backing up iPhone."

Then just before you relinquish control of your iPhone for the last time, go to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings. Tell the genius before you do it in case s/he needs to see anything on your phone before it's swapped. Don't leave the store without being sure it's erasing itself.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Sync it with your computer. Make sure you see "backing up iPhone."

Then just before you relinquish control of your iPhone for the last time, go to settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings. Tell the genius before you do it in case s/he needs to see anything on your phone before it's swapped. Don't leave the store without being sure it's erasing itself.
This.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Backup the phone, remember to sync your contacts and other info as well. Transfer purchases from the iPhone to iTunes. If you have any important SMS messages, it might be a good idea to copy them and paste the text into Notes, then sync your Notes so they're saved.

When you're done, do a Restore on your iPhone and after that do the Reset>Erase all content and settings thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.