how to prepare iPhone 4 for sale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edwinx, Sep 18, 2011.

1. edwinx macrumors member

Hello,

I want to sell my iPhone 4 but not sure how to prepare it. It is currently JB and on 4.3.2. If I restore it, won't iTunes force me to install the newest fw and thus killing my JB? or can I load the same version back on and save the ability to JB the phone?

Also, how would I erase my data so that the new owner can't recover it? (just in case).

thanks,

2. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I typically just do a factory restore on my iPhones before selling them. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a jailbreak for the latest release, unless I'm just really out of the loop on when the last jailbreak tools released.

3. edwinx thread starter macrumors member

yeah, thats what I did back in the day as well but the newest fw is only JB-able as a tethered solution. Mine is untethered so its more convenient.

I remember reading that a typical restore of the phone will still leave traces of data on your phone that can be easily restored by someone. I was hoping there was a wipe technique or something that people do before selling to make it more secure.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U can go back and install whatever fw version u have saved shsh blobs.

5. alectheking macrumors 6502a

No point in worrying about being jailbreak capable. Im all for it but in reality nearly nobody even knows what "jail breaking" is nor care. iOS 5 fixes a huge number of the selling points for JB also. Just restore it through iTunes, your data's completely erased, and call it a day. Selling a jailbroken phone will just cause probs for the buyer if the probability is that they won't have a clue what to do with it.

6. edwinx thread starter macrumors member

oh yes. that. I gotta find a guide on it.

so I guess, restore via iTunes to wipe it, then go back and downgrade to 4.3.2 and jb and sell? that sounds like a secure way of doing it.

----------

hmm. ok. I dont' know, I thought ppl would care if it could be JB or not. But yeah, its getting close to IP5 so I need to take action soon.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You don't even have to upgrade and downgrade.
    You can download the 4.3.2 Ipsw ( or what ever version yu have the shsh blobs for) then option+ click (Mac) or shift+click (windows) restore and load up the Ipsw you just downloaded....

Oh make sure you use tiny umbrella first so your pointing to a local server rather than apples.

8. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Settings...General...Reset...Erase All Content and Settings

That gets rid of your personal data

9. sorepheet macrumors member

sorepheet

:eek:

I've had issues with this method with my jailbroken iOS devices, better to just download the newest iOS you have SHSH blobs for and restore with that iOS using Tiny Umbrella.