How to prepare to give away phone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pdqgp, Jan 12, 2014.

1. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

So I'm giving my brother in law my iPhone 4s to use and need to insure I have access to the text messages I have on it. Are they stored on the sim card and if removed and inserted into another 4s, can I retrieve them if necessary?

Outside then doing a full restore on the phone to factory, is there anything else I should do to prepare for this?

Thanks!

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

They are stored on the phone. Im not too sure how you can pull them and put them on another device other than restoring from back up. I guess you can just take screen caps if it was a short conversation.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you want to save your texts do a full backup on your computer before the factory reset, then if you want the texts back just restore another iPhone from that backup.

4. pdqgp thread starter macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Thanks. Is there a way to export text messages to another file?

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

not with iTunes but if you want to check out this program called iExplorer, you can save them individually with that. http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

6. pdqgp thread starter macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Thanks. Looks like an interesting program but a bit pricey for what I would need it to do. Screen shots and OCR will work.

Regards,

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you know how to torrent i got it that way.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

No need for all that. Backup to iCloud from old phone, restore from iCloud backup on new one. Done.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

IIRC, there's a way to do it if you JB your phone. I personally use google voice for my texts, so I already have copies in my gmail account.

11. pdqgp thread starter macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I won't have a new iPhone I've moved to the Note 3. I'm giving my 4s away but need a copy of my text messages from there.

12. pdqgp thread starter macrumors 68020

pdqgp

it's stupid how Apple makes this so difficult and secretive. part of why I left them.

13. curiosity macrumors regular

Is it possible to undelete data on a "erased" iPhone? I once did "erase all settings ...", but the guy who bought my phone managed to go into my google account and used my google contacts. He deleted some of them and put his own family and dudes there, that's how i found out. They appeared on my iPad's contacts.

14. dextr3k macrumors 6502

No there is no way to undelete. However, you merely erased all settings, which are your preferred settings. To fully erase, you needed to have selected "erase all content and settings" which is why he was still logged into your google account, email account, has your sms, photos, etc.....