How to prepare your iDevice for Sale [Guide + Tips]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 869639, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 869639, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

869639 macrumors 6502

As many people often ask this question over and over, I hope this simple guide [thanks for the tips users have provided over time] can help you simplify the sale of your device on eBay, Craigslist or even to family and friends and it is important that you have checked over everything listed below as thanks to Apple's new security feature of iOS 7, it can make any iDevice paper weight for the potential buyer/user:

1) Take Pictures, describe any and all flaws regarding your device because honesty will not only save you time but make someone's day
    2) Charge your device [No one likes to test a device that has next to no battery left]
    3) Turn off Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod [Go to Settings - iCloud - Sign out of iCloud Account - It will prompt you for your password of YOUR iCloud account that YOU signed in on the device ====== Please note that iCloud accounts in many cases are different than those used to purchase things from App Store/iTunes Store ======]
    4) Note the Serial # and IMEI # of your smartphone/tablet
    5) Wipe the device of any/all your personal data. [Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Contents and Settings or Connect to iTunes and Press Restore so that your iDevice will reset back to factory default]
    6) Meet your potential buyer if locally at a Starbucks or McDonalds in a well populated area, Take your time to sit down with the buyer and show them the device while it is in your hands. Always ask the buyer to bring a SIM so that both parties can verify the device fully functioning [Note: Scammers usually don't sit to inspect the device nor bring SIM cards to test devices]

Additional Notes:
    - eBay buyers can open a dispute against the seller up to 30days after the purchase and correct me If I'm wrong, Paypal direct sales can be disputed against up to 45days === DO NOT SELL YOUR iDEVICES DIRECTLY VIA PAYPAL, NO MATTER HOW NICE OR CONVINCING THE BUYER MAY BE, YOUR PROTECTION LEVEL IS LOWER vs having eBay on board. ===

- Selling to a stranger? Do not use your own personal mobile/home number, instead use of the many available free apps, also do not meet the buyer at your personal work/home.

- If shipping device that was sold on eBay or another online service, take your time to read through buyer feedback [If available] otherwise feel free to ask the buyer for facebook/twitter account, verify their behavior [This is detective work lol but its only going to help you gain confidence in the buyer that they are legit] and/or ask them to send you a message from those social services.

- If shipping device that was sold via eBay or another online service always pay for Signature Confirmation [Thanks Jaylenochinimac]

- If shipping device that was sold via eBay or another online service, always set a temporary password so incase the device is heading into wrong hands, the person thinks twice and/or doesn't get to use the device.

- If shipping device that was sold via eBay or another online service verify that the buyer is not belonging to one of the following countries:
    • Africa [Any location within Africa]
    • Middle East
    • Mexico
    • Russia
    • Smaller countries in Europe

- US Sellers, Verify that the customer is from within USA and not using drop shipping or PO Box or AFO/APO, use google maps as its your best tool to verify the address that is given to you, if it looks like its in the middle of no where....well it probably is and therefore you should not ship to them.

- Always note the device Serial # + IMEI # [If available] and take/make pictures/video if possible while packing the device and/or shipping at home and at your local postal service.

Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac:

To Sell Locally:

- Turn off Find my iPhone / Sign out of iCloud account [Settings -- iCloud --- Delete Account]

To Buy Locally:

1) check that iCloud account is not signed in / Find my iPhone is off [Settings -- iCloud -- Delete Account]
    2) Check the water markers on the phone [One is located on the bottom inside of the SIM Tray, another is located in the headphones jack --- make sure they are WHITE or GRAY looking --- not any hue or shade of red/pink]
    3) Test the phone by making a call with and without Speaker
    4) Check Camera's and Turn on/off flashlight.
    5) Check that the phone charges by plugging it into wall [given you have the option to]
    6) Check if the phone has any warranty remaining [Ask Seller or https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do]
    7) Call Carrier to verify contract/payment plan status of the device IMEI
    8) Check if IMEI is clean [only applicable if the buyer claims the IMEI is clean and is off contract]: www.swappa.com and click on ESN

Good Luck

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Awesome OP. This will help a lot of people selling for the first time as well as provide additional tips/guidelines for the more experienced sellers.

I disagree with this one. Smart sellers do not buy insurance (buyer has ebay protection and no incentive to cooperate in helping you file a claim, etc.); signature confirmation is what protects against item not received.

Agreed. I always exclude Russia, South America, Africa and Southeast Asia. And, no, shipping only in the United States will not and does not protect you against scammers. They're everywhere, but the aforementioned countries should be excluded anyway because of corrupt customs and unreliable mailing services.

PO boxes do allow signature confirmation so they're fine and you'll still fall under paypal seller protection. The only exception is if you ship to AFO/FPO addresses as they don't allow signature confirmation. However, I've gotten a couple of excellent AFO/FPO buyers buying unlocked iPhones (they're military personnels and usually honest) so I do ship to AFO/FPO addresses knowing that I won't fall under paypal seller protection.

I set up the buyer exclusion options to disallow bidders without paypal account and from excluded countries to bid and make the options as restrictive as possible when I meet reserve price or 2 hours before closing, whichever comes first (2 unpaid item strikes within 12 months, disallow buyers bidding on more than 1 item for feedback below 5, etc.). Keep in mind that it helps but doesn't eliminate all bad buyers. There are scammers with high feedback numbers and there's also no option to completely exclude bidders with feedbacks below 5 (most likely to end up as non-paying buyers). What I do instead is add bidders with 0 feedback to the blocked list as I get them but I don't remove their bids. Account > Site Preferences > Show Buyer Requirements > Edit > Buyer requirements list.

Regarding non-payers: I always advertise 1 day shipping and request that payment be made within 24 hours. After 24 hours, I send them a message to let me know by the morning if they plan on paying or I will relist that night and send them a cancellation request. If there's no response by 12 noon, I initiate the cancellation request. Close the case after 7 days and you get a final value fee credit. From experience, buyers who don't write or pay within the first 24 hours usually never pay. It's much better than going through filing an unpaid item dispute, which takes a long time.

Please rest assured that sellers can and do win cases against scammers under paypal seller protection. You must, however, follow all steps outlined within this thread as well as under paypal seller protection. There was a thread a few years ago where someone received the wrong iPhone back. He filed a counterclaim documenting it with side by side photos comparing the different phones and paypal refunded him (illustrating how important it is to take many close up photos). Another member got stiffed with an empty box return and he won the counterclaim once he faxed the police report to paypal.

4. 869639, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate your input as its also going to help lots, I have made some changes to reflect what you have mentioned. My end goal is to help the average joe whom may have some or none experience of selling/buying online but yet wishes to try :)

5. Sh00tingStar macrumors member

6. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Technically true as it'll prompt you for your Apple ID and password to turn off Find My iPhone for you when erasing.

Personally, I like to manually turn off all Apple accounts before erasing just to be on the safe side. Unless caught, each new iOS version can always re-introduce the same bug that still links iMessage, FT, etc. after erasing.

9. mpantone macrumors 6502

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

And you didn't realize I posted the same link a couple of hours before you.

11. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

Or you could just sell it to a recycle company and save all this hassle still! :)

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This thread isn't designed for people who want to unload it the easy way and get the least money for it. Selling on CL and especially unlocked iPhones on ebay gets you top dollars.

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Kinda left out the most important part. Reset All Content and Settings!!
    Signing out of iCloud etc. is redundant.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Exactly .... And it's what Apple wrote.

15. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

No Its there...but ill add instructions on how to if thats what you want to see....

5) Wipe the device of any/all your personal data.

----------

My attempt at writing the post was to help sellers and buyers because making sure Find My iPhone/iPod/iPad is soo important now.

It needs to be part of everyones understanding when buying iDevices to check Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod status because even if the device works today, if you failed to check the status, you may be caught up in the mess down the line should you upgrade your iOS or restore the device.

Most people don't realize, they either buy or sell devices with iCloud signed in and sooner or later discover after the sale and then things get ugly, not to mention most people who sell on CL or eBay usually don't ever see each other again....