How to preserve a DVD menu while encoding

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lbeck, Oct 24, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I'm ripping my movie collection so i can access it on my iDevices as well as my apple tv. I'm using ripit to rip it to my mac. Then using handbrake to encode te movie to be compatible with my devices.

Everything works great except after I encode the movie I lose the DVD menu. When I play the encoded file the movie starts right away. How can I preserve the DVD menu after encoding e ripped file? The DVD menu is preserved from then ripped file, it only drops after I encode it. I'm assuming handbrake won't or can't keep the DVD menu.

Is there a way to preserve the DVD menu with handbrake or another application on the mac? I want to be able to access the DVD menu when I watch my movies on my apple tv.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You will not be able to do this with Handbrake, and the Apple TV. You might be able to transcode the menu to a video file, but you will not be able to use the menu items or select them, either via a Mac OS X video player or the Apple TV.

3. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

The DVD menu is in tact and works perfect after I rip the file, it only disappears after I encode it. So there is no app out there that can encode a DVD movie while keeping a working menu?

4. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Anyone know how to preserve the DVD menu after encoding a ripped DVD?