How to preserve iphone contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by willie45, May 6, 2013.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I've only recently started using icloud to keep my macs and iphone in sync. So far it seems to work well but I have one worry. What happens if I mistakenly delete a contact on the phone or worse still someone else gets their hands on it and deletes the lot! I believe this would result in syncing over all my devices and the deletion of all records of contacts I have.

Can someone please explain to me the best way to avoid this situation?

Thanks

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is it very simple.

So while everything is peachy you go into your Macbook, bring up the contact app and you do an EXPORT, this has the effect of making a backup. Make note of where this backup file(s) is written to and copy at will like to an external media and lock it in a safe and there ya go.

Tip: The export function probably let you export your contacts to several formats, DO THEM ALL, so if at some point in the future you move to Windows (God forbid), or Linux whatever, you have maximum compatibility.

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Mrbobb. Thanks for this information. I'm onto it now :)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good advice right there. Only the VCARD export format can be imported if you are using iCloud, but good to do both then save the files somewhere like in a GMail to yourself.

5. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

What.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

7. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Good question.

iCloud deleting means this applies to calendar appointments too. Nobody I know backs this up every day. I'm not sure of time machine makes a copy of your contacts/calendar