How to prevent an iOS upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xmichaelp, Oct 15, 2014.

1. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

If I buy a new iPhone 4S that ships with iOS 7 what can I do to make sure it never forced iOS 8 into my storage? Can I just turn off automatic downloads?

Thanks

2. noobinator macrumors 601

It always asks if you want to update/upgrade. Just say no.

3. numlock macrumors 68000

im making the assumption that they operate the update in the same was as last years. there were some tutorials about which addresses to block on your router but even that stopped working i believe.

you can fill it up with music and apps but then you render it kinda useless as a smart phone.

jailbreaking is another (or perhaps only real) option.

but then i assume the phone was reset and didnt have a clean ios7 install?

i never said yes to the one that downloaded on my phone. and he isnt asking about actually updating but the space it takes.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreak. Part of the functioning of the last three jailbreaks is to remove any update notifications. Further, if it downloads, if you are jailbroken you can delete it.

Additionally there is a tweak that duplicates what I just mentioned. It's overkill and unnecessary as the regular process of jailbreaking kills the entire update system but you can install it if you want.

Last but not least, there is a jailbreak tweak that prevents restoring your phone from iTunes. This can be useful if a thief gets your phone and tries to restore it. The thief would have to be aware of DFU mode in order to restore. Finally, the last three jailbreaks have also made it so that if you restore your phone from the phone itself or mistakenly try to update, nothing will happen. In general though, the Settings app will never show you an update.

If you don't want to jailbreak for whatever reason, then you're stuck hitting the dismiss button.

5. noobinator macrumors 601

I could have sworn you have to Ok it. And his thread title is

"How to prevent an iOS upgrade?"

6. xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

A lot of people have complained about the update being forced on them and taking storage on their device even if they refuse to install it. That's what I'm asking about.

Hmm, thanks. I prefer not to JB because I don't want it to slow down but I will look into it.

Also, the 4S will be brand new, so I assume it ships with iOS 7.0? I'd just want to update it to 7.1.x

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depends on what ios version your phone ships with. You never know what version it will come with. And the only version you will be able to update it will be the latest version that Apple signs. And currently that's 8.0.2
    If its on 7.0 for example you cannot update it to 7.1.2
    You either leave it where its at or go up to the latest version. No other way in between.
    Some late ios 7 versions let you delete the downloaded firmware update.
    And it never installs it automatically for you. You have to approve and click accept many times before it does the "over the air" update.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What, other than anecdotal opinion, makes you think that jailbreaking means your phone slows down?

9. numlock macrumors 68000

i know but it becomes clear in his post when he mentions storage.

i never said yes. and the people around me that had ios7 automatically downloaded didnt either.

as the posts below you state you really dont have much of an option.