How to prevent aperture 3 from importing video?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kudukudu, Nov 9, 2010.

1. kudukudu, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

kudukudu macrumors regular

By default aperture wants to import all my photos and MOV files into aperture. By default imovie wants to import all AVCDH lite files from my panasonic LX5 into imovie.

I want to import my photos into Aperture and my videos into imovie. Currently I am doing the following:

1. import photos only into aperture by deselecting all MOV files and hitting apply.
    2. import MOV files into aperture by deselecting JPGs, selecting a different directory for my movies and hitting apply.
    3. in imovie import MOV files directly from hard drive

I wish there was a way to force aperture to only touch raw/jpg and imovie to handle MOV/AVCHD lite

2. kudukudu thread starter macrumors regular

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

See my screenshot for how to do it - well the Aperture part anyway.

Attached Files:

4. kudukudu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks jdavtz. I never noticed those options in Aperture. This solves a good chunk of my problem. I can live with the following workflow:

1. transfer photos only to Aperture and then delete them from memory card automatically.
    2. manually copy MOV files to computer with finder
    3. import MOV files from directory on my computer into imovie.

You would think imovie could be configured to import MOV files directly from a camera just like it can do with the AVCHD lite files. Oh well. Typical Apple in that they don't have an implementation flexible enough to deal with all of the various use cases that users have.

Regards.