How to Prevent auto period after two-letter state abbreviation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gogreen1, May 19, 2018.

1. gogreen1 macrumors regular

gogreen1

When I type a two-letter all-cap state abbreviation, I then type two spaces after which I type the ZIP code. That's when Pages enters a period after the state abbreviation. How do I prevent Pages from adding a period after a two-letter all-cap state abbreviation? In Preferences, I've unchecked all the editing items I can find. Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2018 ---
    Never mind. Solved! Uncheck "Add period with double space" in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hmmm. That's curious, since "they" recommend only a single space after a period between sentences. But, yeah, auto-correct and the like can be a pain in the neck. My biggest complaint is the way it messes with capital letters where I don't want 'em.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Doesn't that setting change the double space to a period-space?

Turned it off myself quite a while back. Useful in iOS only, as far as I'm concerned.

4. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

Then uncheck "Capitalize word automatically," too.

Not for me. It just prevents MacOS from inserting a period after I enter two spaces. Funny thing is, I originally wanted it to stop doing that in MS Word for Mac 2016! Works there, too, I guess, because it's an OS keyboard setting.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That is already not checked, ditto for "add period with double-space". The unwanted capitalization seems to occur mostly in Mail.

6. gogreen1 thread starter macrumors regular

gogreen1

Can't help there. Sorry. I use Thunderbird.