Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Hi, im a new switcher, in Windows, if you insert a disc and want to prevent the auto run, you would hold down the shift key. How about in mac? One example is everytime i insert a DVD, it always open DVD player, while actually i want to rip the DVD not watching it. But i also doesnt want to disable the auto play with DVD player, it is useful if i want to watch the DVD.

Another question, what do you guys usually use for playing DVD? The apple DVD player seems quite simple, the menu is very simple and it doesnt have the bar where i can easily use to move forward or backward by moving the pointer in the bar..

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I don't think there's a key that you can hold down for a one-off, but there is a setting in the System Preferences that allows you to change the default behaviour. Take a look in the CDs & DVDs panel, and change the "When you insert a video DVD" to ignore. You can then choose the program you want from the Applications window.

Removes a bit of the convenience, but does allow what you're after.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Ok, is just that, there is no options for 'ask what to do' if dvd is inserted.. :p anyway, thanks..

Okay, i will get that VLC :) Thanks

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
sunrobby said:
Ok, is just that, there is no options for 'ask what to do' if dvd is inserted.. :p anyway, thanks..

Okay, i will get that VLC :) Thanks

You could write an AppleScript that displays a window that asks you, and assign that from the Sys Prefs panel. I don't know enough AppleScript to help you there though.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
just realize something, when i play video with quick time, the computer will consider it as idle, thus, the screen will reduce its brightness within some period, and when it comes to show screen saver, it'll show the screen saver.. quite annoying. this doesnt happen if i play the video with VLC though. I tried playing video not in full screen too in VLC. Cause i thought maybe quick time goes like this because it's not playing the video in full screen, because quick time can't play in full screen. But even VLC plays not in full screen, it doesnt goes like that. Maybe quick time pro doesnt goes like this?

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Quicktime will not deactivate sleep mode while it is window mode.
Quicktime Pro will deactivate it only while in fullscreen mode.
VLC deactivates it no matter what, window or fullscreen mode.

Stick with VLC, Apple's programs have a lot to be desired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.