How to prevent AW from updating Helth data on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Denis54, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

I would like to buy an AW and pair it to my wife's iPhone (I own an Android phone).

How can I prevent the AW from updating Health data on my wife's iPhone? She likes to tracks the steps she does everyday I do not want my own data to interfere with her own data.

I know I would loose a lot of functionalities by not owning an iPhone but I need a new watch and I might as well get an AW than a dumb watch. I really like the simplistic design of the AW.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The Apple Watch isn't much without an iPhone till os2 comes out.

But to answer your question you'd need to set the watch up and turn Bluetooth off after on your wife's iPhone. You'd also need to forget your home wifi on your wife's phone so that information isn't available to the watch. It'll be a pain to achieve without fiddling.

3. CellXor10 macrumors regular

I feel like you should be able to disable the Watch from recording data within the Health app on the iPhone. I know at the least you could reorder the hierarchy of your sources for data, but that wouldn't stop the Watch from recording data when the iPhone didn't have stuff overriding it.

Either way, I honestly would highly not recommend buying an Apple Watch without your own iPhone. I'm sorry to say, but that sounds like a really terrible idea and I think you'd regret it for sure at one point or another.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think putting the watch on Airplane mode and leaving it there permanently would do the trick. Put the watch into Airplane mode, then check the phone, and if it has gone into Airplane mode, take it out of Airplane mode. The watch will then stay in Airplane mode. You'd have to be very careful never to take it out of Airplane mode, though.

Overall, I agree it's a bad idea. In addition to potentially interfering with the wife's health data, there's the problem of what if the wife sees the watch and wants one too? If that happens, you can only pair one watch with a phone, so you will end up with an inactive watch.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If you don't want the phone to track you can turn off Fitness Tracking in the watch app.

I have to say though, you're wasting your time for the most part trying to use the watch without the phone. If all you need is the time get a cheaper more durable watch. To really enjoy the watch you will want to pair it with a phone. It can track your workouts along with distance in a stand-alone mode but only if you have completed the activities for a while first with the phone. You can load music and photos to take with you but only through the phone. The only thing it will really do well without ever seeing a phone again is tell the time and for that single function you should go with a device that will provide that function only. Just my opinion.

6. fanta88, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

fanta88 macrumors 6502

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it to get an AW if you're not in the ecosystem. You would reap no benefit from the watch.

You can definitely find a nice (smart or dumb)watch for $400. I'd definitely check out the pebble time or the garmins. The higher-end garmins, in particular, are excellent.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'd have to make sure your wife plans on never getting the AW for herself, because if she does, she'd be forced to unpair your AW, which will render it useless.

Better to ditch the Android and get your own iPhone + AW.

8. srshaw macrumors 6502

You'd get all your wife's notifictions,emails and messages. Not sure my other half would br happy with that.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can disable them, but the bigger potential issue down the line is she won't be able to get her own Watch because she'd have to unpair the OP's Watch.

10. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

When it came time to replace my iPhone 5, I considered going Android. I have been an iOS user since the iPhone 3G, but I use it with gmail and calendar, google play for music, etc. After playing with my father in law's Galaxy S5 for a bit I decided I wasn't missing anything, and iOS 8 was a better experience... So I bought the iPhone 6. What really sold me on staying with iOS was my desire to purchase the Apple Watch when it became available. I liked the concept, looks, and haptic features more than any watches available for Android.

Sean

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

I don't think buying an Apple Watch would be beneficial to you.

Get an iPhone first, then buy your Apple Watch and pair them together.