How to prevent iLife software updates? [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brad103, Apr 5, 2009.

1. brad103 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a new Mac Mini which I'm going to use as a standalone box to run an application on. It's going to be unmanaged, so I want as few software updates coming down the line as possible. It'll never be used for entertainment, so iLife can go (along with the other things I've already got rid of).

I've deleted all the iLife apps, as well as related folders in /Library/Receipts and /Library/Application Support, and emptied the trash. After doing all this and a restart, when I go to software updates it still prompts me with GarageBand, iTunes and iLife Support updates!! Are these just a fact of life with OS X, and tough luck, buy X Server? I'd really like to not see these show up.

Thanks

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I think you can select them and hit Delete. Or right click and there's an option somewhere. Might be in the Software Update menu. Take a look around.

3. brad103 thread starter macrumors newbie

How to prevent iLife software updates? [SOLVED]

Thanks Jethryn

I'd seen that around, and everywhere it mentions 'ignore this update'. I took this to mean ignore this particular download, but annoy me again when the next one is available for this app or hardware. What it means really is: 'ignore updates for this'.

How it's done: in Software Updates, highlight update(s) of choice, then in the menu bar, under Update, choose ignore. So this does remove the app permanently, including iLife, which is great.

Furthemore, this blog describes this in detail, along with reference to the command line version. Very helpful. It does though seem to be slightly out of date, and wikipedia was most accurate.