how to prevent my external drive from waking up when my mac wakes up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Afro1989, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

i have a 2 TB external hard drive that i use very sparingly throughout the week to listen to iTunes or save documents.

i would like to have this drive mounted 24/7, but don't need it to constantly spin up every time i wake my mac up from sleep (which is about 4-5 times a day).

i want the drive to last and don't want to put unnecessary wear and tear on it.

thanks.

2. bernuli macrumors 6502

You could try ejecting it with Disk Utility. Should be able to remount it with Disk Utility as well when you need it.

3. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, i actually tried this and after i eject it from disc utility there is no way for me to remount it without physically turning it off and then on again.

4. bernuli macrumors 6502

What make model hard drive is it?

I am doing this ok with LaCie d2 Quadra drives. When I eject them via disk utility, they spin down but remain powered. It sounds like your drive is full on going off.

B

5. bwana macrumors newbie

well, i use this applescript

set vol to "HD2"

tell application "Finder"
    if (exists disk vol) then
    do shell script "diskutil eject /Volumes/" & vol
    else
    set device to do shell script "diskutil list |grep " & vol & " |awk '{print $6}'"
    do shell script "diskutil mount /dev/" & device
    end if
    end tell

It toggles the state of the hard disk.
    I compiled to an 'app' and then put it in the user scripts folder. Now it sits up in the menu bar and i can dismount or mount the second aux hd whenever i choose.

This used to work great with snow leopard. However, in Lion, whenever i open my macbook pro (and it wakes up from sleep) the aux hard disk is spun up by lion. What a pain in the A$$.

How can I stop this lion misbehavior?