How to prevent new desktop in Mission Control

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jackc, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm sure this is obvious, but I want to prevent a new desktop being used when I open a Quicktime file, and I can't figure out how to do it. I tried changing the preference about switching to an application, but that didn't do it.

Edit: It creates a new desktop when I go to full screen in Quicktime. Can you not prevent that from happening?

2. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

your mac behaves exactly as it should - when in fullscreen mode an app will take over a new space so that you can switch between apps and your desktop. There is nothing you can do to prevent it

3. WSR macrumors regular

I disagree. The mac is behaving as it is programed, but not as is should. SL handles Full-Screen mode better by not creating a new space, especially for those that have a 2nd monitor.

To OP: I would assume that QT should be able to be set so that it doesn't default to Full-Screen mode. You may have to remember to leave Full-screen mode before exiting QT.

4. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agree about not behaving as it 'should' - that's what it was doing for the last 10 years! It really wasn't broken.

But the fact that 3 months in there is no sign of anyone having worked out how to stop it suggests to me that now it will be broken for a long time to come :(.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Really? Are you sure about that? You do realize that "full screen apps" are new in Lion, right?

S-

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Welcome to Mission out of Control.

It's always puzzled me why full screen apps get their own desktop/space.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

There is no desktop in the full screen app window so they have to have their own space.

S-

8. WSR macrumors regular

I do it all the time in SL. In fact, I quite often have a video play in Full-Screen mode on one monitor and continue working on my 2nd monitor. Something you CAN'T do in Lion.

Lion just hyped a new and weaker version of it.

The 2 attached images were taken at the same time.

(note this is the 1st time I'm trying to attach images. I hope it worked.)

Attached Files:

9. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

The intention here is to let you switch between various fullscreen apps.

By "as it should" I meant "as it is programmed". Unfortunately there is nothing the user can do to prevent this anyway. Of course an option would be a great thing but this is what we have atm...

As a workaround I might suggest an app that doesen't support Lion's fullscreen, like VLC or something similar.

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

There is a difference between apps that use a full screen in Snow Leopard and Full screen Apps in Lion.

But I guess this is beyond your understanding....
    S-

11. WSR macrumors regular

Saying "apps that use a full screen in Snow Leopard" is saying that SL has a Full-Screen mode.

Your previous post:
    implied you didn't know this. Thus, I proved it.

Believe me I understand the difference in how SL and Lion handles Full-Screen mode. SL just does it better. I hope that future apps will be written to give the user a choice in Full-Screen modes.