how to prevent phone from being stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supaflyz, Nov 28, 2014.

1. supaflyz macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I have just bought my mom the iphone 6 plus 64 gig. Came out to be close to $1k. Geez $1k for a phone these days. Anyways I already paid for it. I'm with T-Mobile by the way, and they told me the phone will be shipped in 2 to 4 weeks. A few questions to ask before the phone arrives. My mom is really bad with phones. She barely knows how to use her old Samsung phone (its not touchpad). Anyways this will be a big step up for her.

She always misplace her phone or forgets it. I'm worried that someone will take the phone. I have read some threads that you can track the phone down through GPS or Icloud? Are there phone cases that you can attach to keychains so she doesn't lose it?

I'm also considering switching my phone as well. I was about to pull the trigger on the iphone 6 today. However, I'm going to do research on the note 4 and iphone 6. Both of my brothers have (note 4 and note 3) but for some reason they told me to get the Iphone 6 instead or 6 plus. However, I don't want to have the same phone as my mom.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Turn on find my iPhone for her once she receives it and purchase insurance for the phone. The iPhone 6 plus is too massive to carry on a keychain.

3. supaflyz thread starter macrumors newbie

Which insurance would you recommend? I have a 4s and never got insurance for it because my sister-in-law gave it to me. Get it through T-Mobile or another company? How much does it cost?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The main insurance "everyone" uses is Asurion... they are who is actually insuring phones through the carriers. It's $7-10 depending on the carrier. Generally the dedictible starts at $200 and then goes down the longer you have the phone (without having had used it).

5. canuckle macrumors regular

Quote of the day.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you Mom leaves her phone unattended away from the house, you can count on it getting stolen. Apple iPhones are VERY desirable and stolen if left unattended.

Also have you actually asked your Mom if she wants an iPhone? Some Moms do not and yet their kids think that THEY know best.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just use the carrier insurance. T-Mobile is $10, not sure about the other companies.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Wtf :confused:

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Definitely tell her to stop doing this.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You paid close to 1K for someone really bad with phones?

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Even crazier, he pays $1000 for the iPhone 6 Plus, complains about the price, says his mother barely knows how to use a simple cellular phone, says she's bad with keeping phones and always loses them, says he's thinking about getting an iPhone 6 (why didn't he get her that one?) :roll eyes: and then thinking about about getting a Note 4 instead......and for some odd-ball reason he doesn't want the same phone as his mom. Sounds wishy washy. :cool:

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Simple. You keep the 6+ and give Mom your old 4s.

Was that the answer you were looking for? ;)

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Does the T-Mobile insurance cover stolen phones?

14. supaflyz thread starter macrumors newbie

What is so wishy washy about that? What is wrong with some of you people on here. I came to ask for some advice not bash on the iphone. Every little thing said could sound like a stab at the iphone. Thank goodness there are still some good people on here that gives good advice. The reason I asked was because she wants the phone. She barely knows how to use the phone but from my personal experience and all of my friends and family that the iphone is the easiest to use so I bought her that. I took her to the store to let her try out the i phone 6 plus and the note 4. Don't you think I would do that before buying her a phone that cost nearly $1k? I call all of my friends whom recommended the iphone 6 plus so i bought her that. I told her to t get the iphone 6 but she told me she could leave a bigger case on the iphone 6 plus so she has a less chance of forgetting it somewhere.

My friends also told me that the note 4 allows you to do more things, but my mom probably wouldn't use those things anyways. My two brothers (one has the note 4 and one has the note 3 told my mom to get the iphone 6 plus instead because of it is easier to use). Yes nearly $1 k is a lot for a phone. I don't know what you guys do for a job, but I'm just a new nurse so that is a lot. However, I remember my mom use to work very hard to get my brothers and I things for Christmas. SHe use to work 2 jobs. Now that I'm a nurse and working. I could finally buy something that she wants for Christmas. Even though she might lose it or get it stolen, I'm willing to buy something for her that she wants. I will give the 4s to my dad after I update my phone.

15. techspin macrumors 6502a

It's nice that you bought your mom a phone she wants. Nothing you can really do about her losing a phone besides buying insurance or attaching it to her somehow. I don't think that other guy thought you were bashing the iPhone. Also, not getting a phone because your mom has the same one is silly. Dad only gets a 4S? Why no love for him lol.

16. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

My mom literally asks "where's my phone?" everyday. She always misplaces it.