How to Prevent Preference Files Corrupting...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neowillendit, Oct 11, 2009.

1. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Friends, I'm new to Macs (4 months now), I need to know if any Mac EXPERTS have a way of avoiding plist files getting corrupted. Are there things I can do that will prevent me from ever getting these corruptions? What I do for right now is run OnyX on fully automated with all maintenance scripts enabled about once a month, I always shutdown because I used to get iTunes crashes after allowing sleep, and I lastly run Disk Utility every week whether I've installed anything or not (just to make sure for permissions errors).

Is there anything else I could be doing? Also, by doing all these things, have you EXPERTS found that you NEVER have corrupt plists, or is it inevitable in Leopard?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, maybe you've intimidated some people with your emphasis on wanting help from EXPERTS. I'm no expert, but I'm not intimidated either.

I've had Macs for ten years or so, but only moved to OSX a couple of years ago. I don't do anything intentionally to put a hex on corruption of plist files, and I've never deleted/replaced one. I do run TechTool Pro diagnostics, and have yet to get a failure of anything. I also haven't tried to customize things with "3rd Party" add-ons, like I did with OS7 8 and 9. So I guess from my experience you'd conclude that if you just use it, don't abuse it, you'll be fine.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I don't get corrupted plist files nor do I do anything to prevent them from getting corrupted. I do think that all the "geek tweak" tools out there like Onyx are totally unnecessary to enhance and maintain the the mac experience.

I do use Time Machine regularly so I guess I'm an expert. :D

4. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Well, I consider you both "Experts" and I do appreciate both of your answers. I'm relieved to hear that with caution and care for my Mac, I can avoid corrupted preference files.

Thank you both!! :) :D

5. SHankara macrumors member

Its basic common sense,a crash can corrupt a preference file,bug in the program that you are using,etc.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yup. It shouldn't be a normal occurrence though. If it's happening all the time or with multiple apps there may be something wrong with your system, or even a hard drive problem.

I'm going to agree. Onyx is totally unnecessary (especially for running maintenance scripts; Apple has long since changed it so that if the Mac is asleep or off when they're scheduled to run, they will do so at the next opportunity) and running Repair Permissions is only necessary in some circumstances, if you're experiencing problems. It's a good troubleshooting step but not the fix-all that it came to be known as at some point.