How to prevent Restart/Shutdow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ursus101, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ursus101 macrumors newbie

Hi!

Is is possible to prevent users to restart/shutdown a computer from the Apple menu in Mac OSX? Is it possible to create some kind of a special group that will have rights to restart/shutdown computer? I have a mac here with many users. From time to time people restart the computer without any particular reason disturbing work of others. I need to find a way to prevent user from doing it deliberately.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm pretty sure if someone isn't an admin they can't reboot a computer with other users logged in without knowing the admin password...

For example... When my account is logged in and I try to shut down from my gf's account on my iMac it asks me for my admin password to log off other users.

3. ursus101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention an important piece. Everyone has an admin account :-(. It means basically that everyone can eventually overcome my "block".

However, most people have no idea on administering Mac OSX. I thought of creating a special group that have all permissions like admin account except permission to restart/shutdown computer. Then to reassign people to that group. After this, people can continue doing whatever they do except restart/shutdown.

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Why do they need to have admin accounts? Can you just set them as non admin?

5. ursus101, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

ursus101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, they don't need admin accounts. Whoever created those accounts "ticked" an admin checkbox in Users Accounts. If I disable this now, I'll be shot right away. I want to do it in "silent" way. Next time they try to reboot I will ask "what for?".