how to prevent startup loading screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasonfodor, Aug 4, 2015.

1. jasonfodor macrumors newbie

when i turn on my laptop and after i input my password there is a loading screen. scroll bar that moves from left to right. usually takes 10 seconds or less. than it brings me to my desktop and everything is normal.

is there any way to prevent this or is this just a part of the operating system now?

honestly switched from a windows pc to a mac about 2 years and the biggest reason was because with windows after you put in your password it takes like 2-5 minutes before windows loads with all your desktop items. use to be on mac, you put in your password and less than a second everything is up and ready to go. now there's a small delay.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's your Mac starting up. Filevault in enabled and you must enter your password to unlock the drive and boot the system. That is normal.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You could use your laptop like a lot of folks do:
    Sleep your laptop instead of shutting down every time.
    When you are done with work (or play), just shut the lid. Put your MBPro away, carry it somewhere, plug in to charge, etc. Leave the lid closed, and it continues to sleep. Open the lid, and it comes up, ready to go again, almost as soon as you can open the lid. You can set it so you have to enter a password during wakeup, but getting back to work is almost instantaneous.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you disable FileVault then it'll ask for the password after loading, instead of before (I think; it's been a while).

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

As someone else posted, you don't need to shut down the computer or logout of your user account. Just boot the computer once, use it and close the lid when you are done. Open the lid when you need to use it again. The computer will wake up pretty quickly. Enable fast user switching and if you have more then one user account logged in, you can fast switch to the other account without anyone needing to logout.

6. Spink10, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You can disable - by deselecting "disable automatic login" under Settings - Security

7. Nermal, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know why I didn't think of that... because I've done that before!

Edit: Actually, I've done "automatic login" under Users & Groups > Login Options. They sound like the same thing but since there are two of them they're probably different!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then you'd have to enter your password twice. First to unlock the drive, then to log into your account. Not better than having it allow the automatic login.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Twice?? if you deselect the disable automatic login you don't have to type in your password at all... If FireFault is off

Maybe Im confused by your statement.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If FileVault is on, as is the case with jasonfodor, the password must be entered twice.

11. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Sure

It was already mentioned he can remove that - then also deselect "disable automatic login". Thus no sign in needed.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

However, jasonfodor's posts imply that she/he does not want to remove all passwords when logging in.

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I was presenting the option the OP has - not sure much is implied in the OP. But I have nothing more to add. OP may not have even looked at this thread since posting. :)