How to prevent the r9 m370x from throttle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hypnosizz, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Hypnosizz macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

I played Dota 2 (OSX steam) on my rMBP 15" w/ dGPU for first time.
    It ran well in 60fps for only few minutes after open the game, then the fan kicked up and the r9 m370x obviously began throttle.
    So the fps dropped to 20-30, It was very laggy that I can't play.

Is there any idea to keep the r9 m370x running at full clock and not danger for the machine, when I play games?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Macs really aren't great for gaming. The GPU throttles to reduce the heat it generates, and prevent damage.

3. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Install Windoze 10 on BootCamp. I read a thread that the m370x doesn't throttle with that lame OS

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

It throttles to prevent overheating. If it really doesn't in Win 10, hell, stay away from Win 10.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Something doesn't sound quite right there, dropping that many FPS due to throttling seems unlikely.

6. Hypnosizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

Many thanks.

I guess the fps decrease is from the throttle, but I'm not sure also.

I use my Mac on my room temperature of my country. (around 30-35 degree celsius here)

Should I wait for the El Capitan for an upgrade of performance, and try to play Dota2 again?

7. Queen6, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Being an owner & user of the 15" MacBook Pro forever; Over the years the 15" has frequently struggled with it`s thermals, especially when an external display is connected as the dGPU switches on as default, internal temperatures soar;
    • Elevate the rear, aluminium passive coolers generally work best (I use RainDesign`s mStand & iLap)
    • Increase base fan RPM to 3K or as much as you are comfortable with (MacsFanControl or SMC Fan Control)
    • Limit the dGPU`s usage with gfxCardStatus
    • Swap out Chrome for Chrome Canary as it`s way more optimised for OS X and will extend battery run time, reduce thermals
    • Swap out VLC for Movist as again it`s a reduced load on CPU/GPU
    • Uninstall or block Flash
    • Install an ad blocker Ublock extension works well
    • Powered coolers are very much a "mixed bag" when it comes to Mac portables, you need one that has a high capacity (100 CFM minimum) and preferably a large single fan, this can help to keep the 15" internal fans below 4K which for many is good enough as often it`s this point and beyond where the fans become intrusive. Don't expect a powered cooler impact internal temperatures, beyond a couple of degrees
    • Older machines can benefit from cleaning the cooling system
    • Replacing the thermal paste has been hit & miss, some with very positive results, some with no improvement over stock. Personally I would only do this on a Mac Portable that was either very old, or one that I can confirm was definitely running hotter than stock.
    • If your MBP has a discrete GPU, it will fire up when an external display is connected as default, temperatures will rise rapidly.
    The key to a quiet life with a 15" MacBook Pro is several incremental changes that do add up to reduce thermals. From my experience over the years if your going to push a 15" hard the fans are going to max out fast, with associated noise. If your using it with a moderate load life can be made quieter :) For the most part your MBP runs hot as that`s how Apple designed it, the trade of for form over, function, thin & light...

Gaming is always going to push a Mac portable to it`s limits, equally "if" you can reduce the temperature a little, it may just allow for a much better in game experience. As everything adds up, close all App`s pro to launching the game, it`s all about small gains, not big wins.

The old adage still applies; it`s easier to keep a system cool, than cool-down an already hot machine. This being said it`s not strictly necessary, equally it`s nice to know that there are options for reducing temperature out there.

For the OP ambient temperature is fairly high, at 30-35C, if you can reduce it, this too will help your Mac. Bottom line is only way you are going to play these types of games is to reduce the system temperature. Given circumstance you may want to consider a cheap gaming PC, and a Smaller Mac. Cost wise it may well work out the same.

Q-6

8. Hypnosizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypnosizz

Thank you very much.

I'll follow your useful instruction to reduce heat of my mac.
    I'm also using cooling pad with my mac but I think it doesn't enough.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

For a cooling pad you need a high volume of airflow. Try a NotePal E1 as they are easily available and push out 90CFM, which is significant more than some others.

http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/notepal-series/notepal-e1/

I live in the Sub-Tropics, and have lived and worked in the the Tropics & Middle Eastl, so I am aware of how difficult it can be to keep a powerful Notebook like the 15" MBP reasonably cool. I have seen some people literally use 12" desk fans pointed at the computer to help cool it, equally it works...

Q-6