How to prevent users from running an app?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by techfreak85, Jul 7, 2009.

1. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Hey, here at school (where i also work in the IT depo), people have been Playing WoW(even staff members:rolleyes:) when they are not supposed to(which is anytime:rolleyes:). We have been able to combat it on windows in the form of software restriction polices, but have no solution for the macs.

Is there a way to block wow.app? or better yet also be able to block all .App's from an external drive?

I really dont want to use parental controls and select the dozens of other "ok" apps. so looking for a better solution.
    thanks.:D

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have to setup restricted accounts--not administrative accounts, not standard accounts. Disallow the installation of software on the restricted accounts. Allow only those applications that you want your students to run to be run.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm guessing disabling the USB port isn't a viable solution? I had some ideas until I read the "from an external drive" part.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Do these users (aka gamers, lol) install the software on their own or what?

5. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

no not into the Applications folder but into their home folder or desktop. they install it at home, copy the folders on the the harddrive and then bring it to school and copy it to the desktop or what ever

and AngelWatt, what where ur other ideas?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Could you block the ports that WOW uses to connect to its servers, thus rendering it useless?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One simple, uninstall WoW. The other, change the permissions to not allow their user group to access the files. Those rely on having access to the files in question though, so won't work for an external drive.

Nice idea. I possible, see here for the ports it uses.

8. Tenebrous macrumors member

Restricted accounts are not hard to set up. I'd go for that.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

But if they are running the app from their Home folder (not /Applications) would a restricted account stop them?

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes it would. Restricted accounts can be set to only allow pre-specifiec apps/executable to run, no matter where they are housed.

11. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

the thing is if we delete it, they will bring it back, etc.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Bring what back? The computer? Don't they need a computer for their work?

13. durija macrumors 6502

Post this message:

"Any student caught installing or playing WoW will receive a failing grade and any faculty or staff member will be fired."

Sounds like a situation that is completely out of control if you can't rely on people to follow the policy. How old are the students? How old is the staff?!

14. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

they used apple remote desktop back when i was in high school. you can monitor all the computers on the network, get reports and alerts for changes, see what everyone is doing, etc.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

They can bring it back all they want. It can't be installed and will not run. You may be fixating on WoW, but WoW is only part of a much larger problem. The larger problem is that students install all sorts of software, including additional copies of software that is already installed. Restricted accounts fix all of this. You must go through and delete all the crap that they download, but can't install. However, that is a minor inconvenience.

16. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

its the summer and its the maintainence crew of high schoolers and their superviser. believe me. many people wish he was gone. :rolleyes:

They are using the MacLab and the computers in there as their break room.
    for students, during the school year its gotten pretty harsh. The VP says u get one warning for gaming on school campus. after that u get a 50 dollor fine. if u cant pay that then u come do work for him.
    After that its a $200 fine or that much work for the Vp. after that. u get a suspension from school. after that. you may be expelled.

but of corse they do it when they cant be caught. but the staff member has an office and privacy etc. so its harder to catch him. even tho we know he does it. :rolleyes:.
    so far on the pcs i have a pretty tight SRP set:D. but having trouble doing it on any of the macs.

idk. when i come back from vacation, ill see if i can get my boss to talk to Administration about it, even tho im sure they know and have herd many complaints other then the humble Student/Slave Worker.;)

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why not make a vague notice that IPs are being logged, and that anyone using WoW will be identified and their acccount brought to the attention of ... etc. Presumably WoW hits central IP addresses? The restricted accounts should help..

What's the isue - is it the number of machines being used for Wow? Would allowing some gaming, on say 1-2 machines be another option, but disallow it on any other machines?

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I totally disagree. Never make threats for which you do not have the intention or the resources to back up. Restricted accounts will not "help," they will eliminate the problem.